M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my rear tire (unless it's just better to replace the front and rear at once) and was wondering with it being 2021 is there any new tires that would be better for my bike rather than in the past.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Actually, the M109R is the first bike I've owned where I've had to replace both at the same time. I was getting such good wear out of the Dunlop rear tires, that they lasted almost as longas the fronts. Close enough to justify replacing both. Typically, I've always had to replace the rear tire twice to the fronts' once. My B-King has been that way. And also, the Metzeler tires on my M109R now are the same. Rear tire (280 on 10 inch rim) is close to needing replaced, front still has plenty of tread left.

The stock tires the M109R comes with suck. My stock front tire has some strange off center tread wear going on that has not been replicated by any of the after market tires. So, if you're still on stock tires, look the front over and see if it looks good, or not. But I'd just ditch both stock tires ASAP. That being said, I did get near 11,000 miles out of my stock tires. If you're anal about keeping the pressure at 42 psi, they will go a long way.

Until 2018, when I put on all new Coastal Moto rims so I could run a 280 on the back, I ran three sets of Dunlop Elite III tires, front and rear. They did well for me. But I do believe they are now called Elite IV. I can't speak toe the IV version.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the M109R is the first bike I've owned where I've had to replace both at the same time. I was getting such good wear out of the Dunlop rear tires, that they lasted almost as longas the fronts. Close enough to justify replacing both. Typically, I've always had to replace the rear tire twice to the fronts' once. My B-King has been that way. And also, the Metzeler tires on my M109R now are the same. Rear tire (280 on 10 inch rim) is close to needing replaced, front still has plenty of tread left.

The stock tires the M109R comes with suck. My stock front tire has some strange off center tread wear going on that has not been replicated by any of the after market tires. So, if you're still on stock tires, look the front over and see if it looks good, or not. But I'd just ditch both stock tires ASAP. That being said, I did get near 11,000 miles out of my stock tires. If you're anal about keeping the pressure at 42 psi, they will go a long way.

Until 2018, when I put on all new Coastal Moto rims so I could run a 280 on the back, I ran three sets of Dunlop Elite III tires, front and rear. They did well for me. But I do believe they are now called Elite IV. I can't speak toe the IV version.
Okay but what brand do you recommend because if I'm wrong you mentioned two brands. And can they come in the stock size (240/40R18)?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have ran the Dunlop E3's in the 250 for 4 sets. I am on the Avon Cobra Chrome 260 now, but only have a couple hundred miles. I do like the tread pattern on the Cobra Chrome better though.

Either go with the Dunlop E4 250, or the Avon Cobra Chrome 260 are my recommendations. There is absolutely no reason to stay with the stock 240 size IMO.

·
Registered
2018 M109R BOSS
136 Posts
i've got the Michelin Scorcher in mine. love it. super sticky. however those do say harley davidson on the sidewall...if you get close enough to see it
Tire Sports gear Automotive tire Motorcycle helmet Automotive lighting

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've got a 240/40-18 Dunlop Q3 Sportmax waiting in the wings , my back tires getting close. I'm a sport rider so I value grippy rubber.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
I agree with those above that recommend the Dunlop 250. Unless Joe RC51's Q3 proves to be a good tire, I have no reason to recommend a stock size 240 tire. I would most certainly never recommend the stock tire as a replacement as it doesn't wear well and doesn't stick well either, and costs more than the Dunlop 250 or the 260's mentioned.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the Dunlop 250 and the Avon 160-60 at front.
The bike runs great on those .
You will need extenders for the 160-60 Avon so the fender clearance is not affected .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run a Dunny E4 250 (from stock 240) and have noticed it dips in a lot better than the 240.
Having said that, the previous owner was a "Point and shoot rider" and wore a flat spot on it.
The dunny 250 has a harder center and softer sides.. Should wear well.. Also has plenty of grip so far at 2000 kms..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts