M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is for those of you who have drilled out the 2 plates in the middle of pipe with a 1-5/16 holesaw and a 12" extension. i have added 6 evenly spaced 1/2" holes in the back exhaust cover. finally i touched up with 1200 degree engine paint and a brush. it looks awsome and sounds way cooler. took about a half hour.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, the very back of the pipe, around the hole. you wont be sorry, looks cool and sounds sweet.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
pics pls

G

·
Ok, I just ran out and drilled 9 11/32" (Bit was already in the chuck, lazy I know.) holes in each pipe. Definitely louder. Deep sound at idle and low speed. I like! I was disappointed after the syth oil and 2000 miles the bike sounded quiet to me. I wonder if the different size holes makes a different sound? May try half of the nine at 1/2"

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do you mean drilling these holes around the small baffle outlet right at the end of the pipe with the baffle still in?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes. be sure to touch it up with 1200 degree engine paint. looks killer. i to enlarged holes from 1/4" to 1/2" and the tone deepened. atleast twice as loud as just drilling the 3 walls only. maybe "itguy" can post pics, as i dont have access to a digital at the moment.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you have to drill the 3 walls to get the full effect. use a bi-metal hole saw that just fits inside the exhaust rear and a 12" extension.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am starting to feel stupider by the minute.I am totally lost on what to do.Anyone have a step by step for a red neck Canadian from Alberta? I need more loudness I just don't want ta screw up my pipes

·
Registered
189 Posts
I got the plates drilled out today.I can see all the way down till the pipe starts to bend downwards.I hope this is correct.I will drill the1/2 holes tomorrow.Thanks for the help.I could only retrieve 1 plate the rest wanted to stay in the pipe.

G

·
I've drilled about 9 1/2" holes in each pipe. The bike had gotten pretty loud so far. How much louder will it be with the 3 baffle walls drilled out? Or does the sound deepen?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just a tip for drilling the 1/2" holes in the end caps. Take a phillips screw driver and a hammer and give each position 2 medium taps to give it a very small pre dent. This will make your holes drill quick and easy and result in an evenly spaced clean job. It just stops the bit from wandering on you. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I'm sooooo close to doing this mod. I love the looks of the stockers over any of the aftermarkets out right now. The main reason I'm hesitant is I want to be 100% sure this won't affect the fuel system. I have read someone on here that debaffled theirs and the dyno results showed it was running lean (or rich, can't remember). If I drill out the three walls and screw the holes in the end, will my bike run lean or rich? Will it decrease my gas mileage? Does it improve or worsen HP/Torque? Does the third wall really need to be removed, or will it still sound good with only two walls removed? Sorry for all the questions, but I want a better sound, but not at the expense of poor fuel consumption or performance.

As another option, I have considered using a metal cutting tungsten carbide bit on my dremel tool to cut out that end wall completely. If I do this, what all will pull out with that wall? Will that affect fuel/air mix? I don't have access to plasma cutter, and I don't think I can do a good job with my oxy/acet torch. I feel confident that the dremel will make short work of that wall. Just not sure if I really want to completely debaffle the pipe.

Thanks in advance. The more questions answered, the better I will feel about doing this mod.

Mike

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Can anybody answer my questions above? I went to lowes today and bought a 1 1/4" Lenox bi-metal hole saw. I had to special order a 12" extension, so it will be close to a week before I can do this mod. The only 12" extensions they had were made by Erwin, designed for their bits.... no Erwin hole saws.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I finished plpe mod today.After removing inside plates I drilled 8 1/2 holes around the out let of each pipe.When i fired up the bike I could not believe the sound, It was way louder than I was expecting.I headed out for a ride and the bike just sounds beautiful.I have 1 km of dirt road to travel that has large thick trees on each side.At 2000 rpm in 2nd gear the bike has a wump to it that sound like a bell helicopter.When I hit the highway I had to let it go and man the sound we will give ya a chubby.I went through the first 4 gears to redline and the bike just hauled.I have the JSD mod also.I think the bike is much quicker with the pipe mod or maybey the sound just makes it feel that way.PLEASE I BEG YOU ALL to do this mod you wont be sorry.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did this mod a week ago. I agree the sound is amazing!! I too could not get all the baffle walls
out.... so now they are rattling around in my outer pipes. I can even see them through the 1/2"
holes I drilled. Does anyone have this going on? if so what are you going to do about it if anything?
I thought about either cutting a slit between two of the 1/2" holes and taking them with some tweezers
or getting a strong magnet with an extension and seeing if I could go through the baffle and route
it back through the baffel opening.

Thoughts....

1 - 20 of 113 Posts