M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i did. zoom helped me with this. plugging up the back, is something that is recommended to do, if the new opening that you created is greater than the area being closed up in back.
i used some black rubber covers available at the home depot. i believe they are 2" OD.

i borrowed the picture below from pynikal, i hope he doesn't mind. it is from his thread in the for sale forum for his smoothed goldwing mod covers.
if you look on the rear of this cover in the picture, you will see the type of covers he used. i used the exact same thing, but i found some that had clamps on them so it worked out really well.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I didnt either, am i supposed to?
no, i think it is more personal preference. claims have been made that if you plug up the hole that you are preventing warm air off the cylinder from entering. by plugging up the hole you are making the setup utilize the cooler incoming air from the front of the newly modded air cover, which in turn can make more HP.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
For the best HP gain you want to block it. That way the cooler air can get in and not the hot.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
For the best HP gain you want to block it. That way the cooler air can get in and not the hot.
I agree however all you are talking about is maybe a 10th of a Horse .... if that ...

One way or the other I don't think it matters much and the only way you will see any gains from colder air is if you remap .... if you are not remapping then I would definitely say don't bother unless you really want to do the work.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
I agree however all you are talking about is maybe a 10th of a Horse .... if that ...

One way or the other I don't think it matters much and the only way you will see any gains from colder air is if you remap .... if you are not remapping then I would definitely say don't bother unless you really want to do the work.
:dontknow::dontknow: I have never seen dyno numbers both ways so I do not know.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I didnt either, am i supposed to?
baldy, as was said above you only want to plug them if the area in the front is as big or bigger than the opening in the back. If it has less area in the front you could possibly restrict the intake and hurt the power. It takes some measuring and figuring if it's close, but if you have a lot of open area it's better to close off the back.

Ever notice how the bike runs better on a cooler day? That's the effect you get from blocking off the rear. Even if the temp difference is only 20 degrees it's like comparing how the bike runs on an 80 degree day as opposed to a 60 degree day. The bike does have an air temp sensor and will add more fuel and make more power when it's seeing cold air coming in.

·
Registered
488 Posts
baldy, as was said above you only want to plug them if the area in the front is as big or bigger than the opening in the back. If it has less area in the front you could possibly restrict the intake and hurt the power. It takes some measuring and figuring if it's close, but if you have a lot of open area it's better to close off the back.

Ever notice how the bike runs better on a cooler day? That's the effect you get from blocking off the rear. Even if the temp difference is only 20 degrees it's like comparing how the bike runs on an 80 degree day as opposed to a 60 degree day. The bike does have an air temp sensor and will add more fuel and make more power when it's seeing cold air coming in.
Just reading this then I am going to need to plug the back. My is just like the pic, this is borrowed from wrisperj we have the same cover..

Attachments

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
Just reading this then I am going to need to plug the back. My is just like the pic, this is borrowed from wrisperj we have the same cover..
Tulsa, that has way more open area than the back opening has, so you can plug the back and not have any problems with it. Actually it's going to drawer most of the air through the front anyway, so plug it if you want. I don't know that you would notice the difference.

I just didn't want anyone to plug the back thinking they had to, and then finding the front wasn't cut out enough to supply the amount of air it needs. I think some of the puking problems are due to air filters that get clogged, which creates a higher vacuum in the intake. Higher vacuum sucks the oil up and out she comes. It may be the stock filters are even a little undersized for high rpm running. Having a set of Duck's covers with little opening and plugging the back would create the same situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts