M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone noticed their front tire wearing funny(uneven) - my 109 has developed a very chopped
wear pattern and it only has 1800 miles... i've owned alot of sport bike with this style tire on them and
never found a front tire to wear this way. pressures are checked every 3-5 days to insure proper
pressure.. rear tire is holding up well considering many burnouts and hard 1/4 mile runs (practice)

godzuki

one responder says the tire suck because there bias tires - wrong, mine has radials on it,  also increasing tire
pressures by 4 psi is almost stupid, this a a bullsheet bandaid for the real problem, i talk to dunlop and their
feeling is the wear is a result of tread pattern and load during cornering.... fyi...........not trying to offend
anyone just giving as much info as i can obtain....

*****i didn't join this forum to get in a shit throwing contest - i joined to share information and knowledge...
i deal strickly with facts and i won't make some thing up just to talk....if i don't know it, i'll find a "real" expert that
has the right to pass these facts to me and others.....when a rep from metzler says the tire isn't up to spec for
our bikes(and they won't be held responsible) then i think i'll wait till they introduce a tire that is !!!!!! ******

sorry for being so direct - but IMO it beats a crock of shit !!!

8/24/2006 - I JUST SPENT 25 MINUTES ON THE PHONE WITH METZLER - THEY DON'T BUILD PROPER FRONT TIRE
FOR THE M109R YET - NO TIRE HAS BEEN TESTED AND THEY REFUSED TO TELL ME IF THE VTX (130/70HR18) WOULD BE
ENOUGH TIRE FOR OUR BIKES, THEY ALSO LED ME TO BELIEVE THAT IT ISN'T - BASED ON A FEW STATEMENTS HE MADE
IT LED ME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT IT'S NOT SPEED RATED HIGH ENOUGH FOR BIKE THAT WILL GO 140+...
I OFFER THIS AS INFORMATION SO THAT WE CAN ALL MAKE A SMART, SAFE CHOICE WHEN IT COMES TO REPLACING OUR
TIRES............

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes i have the same thing with 3k on my bike. I also notice a slight viberation while turning.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Tire cupping is normal for big Japanese cruisers like the 109 and VTX's. Jack your front tire pressure to 40 psi and keep it there. It won't completely stop the cupping but will slow it down and extend the service life of the tire! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Usually a sign of a suspension, shock or balance problem, at least in cars for sure! The wheel is bouncing to much and pounding the tire causing it to wear unevenly, take it to the dealer and try having it balanced. The only drawback is, once the tire gets choppy it won't smooth out again unless you have it shaved. It's best to inspect and catch the problem as soon as possible! :(

EFE M109

·
Registered
21 Posts
The tires you get on the bike are junk . replace them with some metzelers and you will stop having the problem with tire cupping. I had 2000 miles on stock tire same problem. got some metzelers now have 2500 on them no tire cupping problem look like new.

·
Registered
443 Posts
EFE M109 said:
Usually a sign of a suspension, shock or balance problem, at least in cars for sure! The wheel is bouncing to much and pounding the tire causing it to wear unevenly, take it to the dealer and try having it balanced. The only drawback is, once the tire gets choppy it won't smooth out again unless you have it shaved. It's best to inspect and catch the problem as soon as possible! :(

EFE M109
This may be true in cars with problems, but not bikes. It is caused by a few things on bikes (weight, tire pressure, cornering and braking loads, etc.) One thing that is well known for many years, is that Dunlops seem to do it worse than many others. Don't shave the tires on a motorcycle. If they're that bad, replace them. I do agree with the suggestion about the Metzlers. They are tough to beat.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I know, pressure is checked every week...

However this sounds like a pressure problem to me, underinflation caused the thing to heat up too much.
just MHO.

I am just about at 4000 miles and both tires are holding up EXTREMELY well. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Still lots of tread to go, and wearing very evenly

G

·
These Dunnies that they put on from the factory suck, the VTX has the same problem.  They are BIAS tires not radials.   Anyway tire pressure is the culprit, 40 PSI is the key like others have posted.  Go to the Metz or Avon's.

TAZ

Corrected per Information.

They still suck and still wear goofy, my VTX did the same.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
raw_taz said:
They are BIAS tires not radials. Â
HUH? :confused: ............................... then what does the R in the size mean, for that matter I've never seen a Dunnie "Sportmax" (like we have stock) that wasn't a radial ;) ................

and yes mine has the funky wear pattern too, I just figured it was a combo of weight , my riding style and the fact I let it run a little low on pressure once :redfaced:

·
Registered
443 Posts
raw_taz said:
These Dunnies that they put on from the factory suck, the VTX has the same problem. They are BIAS tires not radials.  Anyway tire pressure is the culprit, 40 PSI is the key like others have posted. Go to the Metz or Avon's.

TAZ
While I agree that the stock tires are not the best, who's the retard that told you they are not radials? When the side of the tire says radial OR has an "R" in the tire size (130/ 70R 18), it's a RADIAL. ::)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
Ummm, Errrrrr.... I believe the "R" is a speed rating :bigthumbsup:
Nope, the R is radial. The H, V or Z is the speed rating.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hey, at least your speaking. We all learn something new every day. :bigthumbsup: :read: :bigthumbsup: :read: :joke:

·
Registered
127 Posts
No problems at 36 psi, but I'm gonna take my front tire up to 40 psi as preventative measure. I ass/u/me the rear tire is ok to leave at 36?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I keep both my tires at the factory recommended pressure and they are wearing perfectly. In fact, if I recall correctly, the MSF manual specifically states not to underinflat or overinflat motorcycle tires but rather use the exact pressure the manufacturer recommends.

Front - 36 lbs
Rear - 42 lbs

I'll say it again, weather we're talking about a car or a bike, a choppy tire reveals something is wrong! Either pressure, balance, suspension or a warped wheel is the cause! Tires (especially radial) do not get cupped wear unless one of the factors above is off.

EFE M109

·
Registered
205 Posts
I really can't see any reason why the 130/70R18 Metzeler wouldn't work for the 109. The 109 is about -30lbs dry wt. vs the VTX and the bike is limited to 127mph top speed unless you have it modded. So as far as loads from weight and speed goes, there are no issues. If your bike is modded and you're riding above 130mph consistently, then the only question I have for you is how do you sit on your bike, because with nuts that big, you shouldn't be able to sit down. :joke: I believe Hal has Metzelers on front and rear and per his post, found the tire to be great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts