M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in my 8,000 kilomiters/4,800 miles range and my front tire has the high and low areas on both sides of it, I have found the wear bar but it is not completely threw, I can just feel it in the lowest part of the tread, has anyone worn their front right down to the bar??

Has anyone got a warranty front tire?

Is this normal for this bike to use the fronts so quick?

I have been ridding quite aggressively lately and we have another 4 day trip coming so I'm hoping this front tire will last just another 1,500 kilomiters.

The roads here have been hot and we have been in the heat wave most of the summer. as high as 39-42 Celsius on the road.

I have lots of tread in the center, just the sides are wearing, and yes I got a kick butt air gauge and check my pressure before each long ride. Where I live there isn't allot of straight road, and when there is a straight secion it is my opportunity to go like stink. I'm trying to brake in full throttle. Not tickets yet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
biker-chicky said:
Where I live there isn't allot of straight road, and when there is a straight secion it is my opportunity to go like stink. I'm trying to brake in full throttle. Not tickets yet.
I'm envious...all we have in my area is straight road, with a bunch of traffic.
From what I've seen on all the tire discussion, coming up on 6000 miles seems to be about the time for tire replacement.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Biker chick, Many have said that higher PSI is needed on the Dunnies.
I am not sure if this next correlation can be made, but wear on the outside mostly over the middle in a car tire generally means under inflation.

PS, Where are you from? where do you ride?

Sledzep

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ridding in British Columbia, its hard to find a straight road. I'm thinking of heading down the I-5 to California to get my centers worn before i get a new tire. I'm going to bump up the pressure to 40 sounds like the best idea and later I'll see if i can get a warranty tire, LOL wish I had the chance to get out of the dam house, can only get out for a few hours a day and I spend it entirely on the M, I've got 14 days out of the house in september but then the relatives are coming to visit shit!! I'd rather go visit them oh well I'll have to shorten the trip to 4 days out of the house.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
If you've been riding around Okanagan and Skaha lakes this summer, your mileage sounds correct. Next to California's concrete freeways, your hot asphalt is about as abrasive as it gets. Keep in mind that your OEM tires are considered a sport compound and "compound" is the operative word here. It doesn't matter what your tread looks like, when you run out of the invisible compound, your tires will start feeling like grease in the turns (Michelin is notorious for this). Riding the worn sides of a rear tire is fun. Up front, it's unpredictable and SCARY! Sounds like a good excuse to replace both front and rear for some Metzelers (260 out back!). ;)

I sure miss your neck of the woods, especially Penticton. And the people, the atmosphere, the roads, the value of my US dollar over there, AND THE MOST AWESOME PRODUCE, WINE AND FOOD ON THIS CONTINENT! I don't miss your taxes however. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
414 Posts
biker-chicky said:
Ridding in British Columbia, its hard to find a straight road. I'm thinking of heading down the I-5 to California to get my centers worn before i get a new tire. I'm going to bump up the pressure to 40 sounds like the best idea and later I'll see if i can get a warranty tire, LOL wish I had the chance to get out of the dam house, can only get out for a few hours a day and I spend it entirely on the M, I've got 14 days out of the house in september but then the relatives are coming to visit sheet!! I'd rather go visit them oh well I'll have to shorten the trip to 4 days out of the house.
I doubt you'd get a warranty tire...they might give you a pro-rated price...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts