M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With just over 3k on the bike the rear is showing some real signs of wear. I might get 4 to 4.5K out of the tire if I stay off the "hard throttling". No burn outs on the skin, although I imagine that I've spun it on a few occasions with some fast starts. Anyone else about ready to replace your stock skin due to wear???? What was is your mileage???

·
Registered
936 Posts
you know i spun my tire, but i felt like the tire did'nt last long. i changed my tire at 4200 miles and the tread was almost gone. i put 260 metzler and as of write now i love the way it feels.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
moto said:
you know i spun my tire, but i felt like the tire did'nt last long. i changed my tire at 4200 miles and the tread was almost gone. i put 260 metzler and as of write now i love the way it feels.
Thanks! The 240 has a soft rubber compound! You did well, getting 4.2k! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
So does the Metzler have soft rubber compound as well, or is it harder. I like how the stock tire sticks to the road. I wouldn't want it to have less traction. moto, you mentioned you love the way it feels. Does that mean it sticks as good as the stock?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My previous experience with Metzler tires was on my VTX. I ran a ME880, 200 series and that tire had a soft rubber compound. I barely got 4k out of the tire, compared to the 7k I received from the stock Dunnie which was a 180 series. I have to agree that the Metz seemed to be more "stickier" than the Dunnie. Regarding cornering chareristics, I'd say the Metz had a slight edge.
I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Dunnie Elite 3, 250/40-R18 to replace the stock tire on my 109. I already received the 130/70-R18 matching Elite 3 for the front. Both tires are considered "tour" versus "sport" rating of the stock Dunnie D221. I hope to get 8/9k from the Elite's.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
My bike only has 700 miles on it...wear is almost non existant...I think when the time does come...I'll go with a 260 Mets.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I've run Dunnies for years. I found that it's worth the switch from sport to touring. You get 2x the mileage out of them and the bite is very similar. I know the tire compounds are different but it really comes down to your driving habits. I used to wear some front tires slap out because of my love for slow, tight, curves. The guy that changes my tires could see that I preferred left handers.

I expect to get about 6-8k out of the D221 on this bike. I don't smoke the tires or accelerate hard every time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts