M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the saga continues. My girlfriend and I were rear-ended by a drunk driver on Friday night. Then to make things worse the Lady fled the scene of the accident pushing my bike out of the way to make her escape. I found out that it was a guy on a sport bike that followed the lady all the way to her house where the arrest was made. At that time she claimed she hit a pot hole. We were hit by a 1996 Toyota Camry. She says she has insurance but as of today she has not provided any insurance yet. Luckily I am insured to the max. We went back to the scene and there were no skid marks, only gouges in the pavement from the bike skidding along.

The lady is from North St. Louis (The Hood), 37 years old, and works for a hospital (admin). It is beyond me how anyone would flee the scene of an accident but a hospital worker?

Today I am taking the bike to the dealer and visiting my attorney.

The lady was charged with misdemeanor leaving the scene of an accident and DWI. I am pissed off that she was only charged with misdemeanor leaving the scene. According to Missouri Law:

3. Leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident is a class A misdemeanor, except that it shall be a class D felony (equivalent to the charge of holding a **** fight 578.173) if the accident resulted in:
(1) Physical injury to another party; or
(2) Property damage in excess of one thousand dollars; or
(3) If the defendant has previously pled guilty to or been found guilty of a violation of this section.
(L. 1977 S.B. 60, A.L. 1983 H.B. 287, A.L. 1986 S.B. 450, A.L. 1989 1st Ex. Sess. H.B. 3) Effective 7-27-89

I hope the judge throws the book at her!

We are getting a little better everyday.

Here are some pictures of the bike and gear.

My helmet - might explain why i have a headache

Megan's gloves

My Gloves

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
At a minimum the lady should be charged with felony hit and run. I hope your lawyer pushes for the maximum punishment. Get better soon. My wife and I will be up in STL with 2 of our kids on Friday and Saturday if you and Megan feel like getting together for lunch or supper. Take care bud.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Glad you are here to tell us what happened. Good thing you had on your protective gear. The bike looks bad, but I'm sure you will get it back together. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Am I missing something??

So it should be a Felony if:

(1) Physical injury to another party - check

(2) Property damage in excess of one thousand dollars - check

Why is she being charged with a misdemenour??

Glad you guy's are ok!! Mend quick!!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
SO GLAD YOU GUYS ARE OK !!! WE ALL KNOW KARMA IS A BIT CH > BEN TAKE IT EASY SO GLAD MEGAN IS OK THE REAR LOOKS ROUGH !

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
i know this has been brought up but cant you also press charges against her and sue her.........i know that when some sates charged some one with DWI it is 2 charges of it so why cant you and the state charged her i think as long as it is not for the same things charges .....but nomatter what i am very glad you 2 walked away

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Looks like you got lucky. Glad your for the most part alright. Looks like she'll get what's coming to her.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I bet your glad you bought a big beefy bike that can take a hit!

Glad to see both of you are on the mend. But I too am at a loss, It seems like she qualifies for felony. What's up with that?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'm no lawyer, but I think your insurance Co. will go after her or her insurance Co. for damages. Your lawyer would probably sue for "pain and sufferring" and try to attach her wages (IF you win). You'll be paying your lawyer win or no win. It might not be worth it. A scumbag like this might quit her job and go on welfare. Hopefully, the DUI charge will keep this hazard off the road for a while.

G

·
Glad you 2 are not seriously injured. From the damage it looks like you coud have easily been hurt alot worse.

If I were you I'd find a way to find her car and get pictures to show in court. Potholes don't damage fenders, bumpers and grills. Plus it would show that you were clearly visable above the hood. Making that lie even more damning. Document you pain and suffering with a diary. It will be worth big $ in a lawsuit.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
dude that is what happened to me on memorial day weekend. drunk driver pulled out in front of us on the highway and we t-boned him doing 70mph!!

man i feel your pain it really sucks. the good part is you two are ok for the most part. now go get a good lawyer and have them get everything that they can. she will do a min 4years and probably lose her job over this as well.

keep us updated. if you need ANYTHING just call man.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Am I missing something??

Don't panic. Very often the lowest SURE charge is written in to get the arrest and go to the prosecutor. They will do a discovery and determine if the situation calls for the increased charges and penalties. The accident only happened Friday so there has been no time for the prosecutor's office to review the case. The cops will write it up with the facts and the POffice will state the final charges at arraignment AFTER it is proven that there was more than $1k in damages and there was physical injury.

THis lady is in for a BAD time! Sure am glad you two are OK! :super: This further demonstrates that we should all dress for the crash, not the ride.

·
Registered
960 Posts
BTW, find that Good Samaritan rider who followed this drunken bitty to her home for us all! He deserves recognition and thanks from all riders for getting involved.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Am I missing something??

that is all that was charged in my case as well.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Glad you will be ok. It's ashame that a hospital administrator would drink & drive and think she hit a Pothole. Big F#@&%$g Pothole! It goes to show you anyone can be a drunk. I am not against drinking at all, Most of us just know better about driving and possably taking someone's life.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts