M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally some good news for the average "working Joe". I was notified a few weeks ago that after 29 years of giving this company 100% of my time and expertise, that I would be layed off:dontknow: There are 12 other people involved also. Of course the company said "it was nothing personal, strickly a business decision". Nothing "personal my ass"! The have disrupted and changed the lives of 14 people. That's the way of the world these days, so if you work for a large company beware that you are not safe in you job status. Things can change in a heartbeat. I have been a customer service rep for the last 7 years, after they terminated my job as a "purchasing agent" that I held for 22 years. They made another Corp decision to take over the purchasing at the corp level in Richmond, Va. I decided I would take a "lateral" move from purchasing to customer service just so I could get my paycheck. Now "they" made another Corp decision to elimanate the Orlando customer service dept and let Atlanta handle Fla. But for me there is "LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL ". Company severance for job elimanation is 2 weeks pay for every year employed up to 26 years (52 weeks pay=1 year). So starting next week and every two weeks for the next year I will walk out to my mailbox and pick up my paycheck:hot::hot: Also the State of Fla does "not" reconize severance as income, so I will also be able to draw unemployment:a18: I am 61 now, so when my severance pays runs out I will be at the minimum retirement age. Now I will be able to get in more riding time on the "beast" :2cool: Also all but two of the other people affected were able to find jobs. This company "screwed me for 29 years, now it's my turn:bigthumbsup: The down side to this is having to get up every morning and watch my wife go to work:dontknow: I guess she will get over it..LOL

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It is ashame but the state of our ecomomy, it is everyone out for them selves. someone always has someone up the chain they have to answer to. There is no more loyality in anything any more. Everyday I read the paper & listen to the news and hear about another corporate layoff or company closing it's doors after many years of service.
Montanalg, I am glad you are in the position you are in though, looks like you will get to just figure out where you want to eat lunch every day & if you want to invite your wife:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Montanalg...that sounds like win-win situation to me...enjoy yer retirement man :bigthumbsup:

Same kinda thing happened to me...after 21 years I got laid off...(they just about closed the company) I got 6 months severance pay and I was hitting retirement age at 65 anyway...so all worked out pretty good....AND god is great to not have to get up early and go to work and listen to idiots anymore !!!!! :hot: :D

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
in this day and age, working for 29 years at one company is rare

they would be better off to talk you into early retirement and keeping you working for another year till age 62......
same out of pocket for them but they keep your production for another year

congrads on coming out on top (that too is rare)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I was layed off 2 years ago as a VP of Purchasing in the homebuilding industry and we all know where that is now. Sucks making 6 figures ayear dowm to 250 a week and now I dont even get unemployment any more. It is hard to believe thatFlorida has a max payout of 250 a week fr unemployment.

Sorry to hear about you job. you are right, no one is safe.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sorry for the layoff, you got a better deal than most around here in Okla/Arkansas that I hear of. Wonder when the Corps/Companies start finding ways out of not paying anything to anyone?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Enjoy the ride!!:doorag:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Companies????

Mont.Know where you are coming from.Worked for a company for 23 years,gave them loyal service for all that time.Spent a lot of the working days away from home,missing the family and such,only to be screwed over by the company.I wasn't laid off,I walked.For years they had been telling me that I was the most valuable employee(one hears this all the time)they have,and that the next office position that became available,was mine.A position did become available,BUT I DIDN'T GET IT.It was given to a person who had been with the company for a very short time.When this decision was questioned,I was told that I was too valuable to put in the office,and that was why I wasn't promoted.OK.Bit the bullet and got on with life.The part that pi$$ed me off about the new bloke was that he knew absolutely ZIP about the job,but he was now my BOSS,and was telling me how the job should be done.Well,I fronted the state CEO and put it to him,his reply was that if I wasn't prepaired to tow the line,I knew where the F----N gate was and I could use it.So I did.There was no sense in staying when the top man treats you like crap.Felt good driving out the gate.Several months later I was asked(BEGGED-via phone call,they didn't have the nuts to ask me in person)to go back,but I politely declined.Damn that felt good.KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,037 Posts
Montanalg, I'm trying to find something wrong with that and I'm having a hard time doing it. Get to retire early, ride the bike all you want, get a pay check every week, and still collect unemployment. I think I'd take that deal. :D

Sucks getting laid off no matter how it happens, but that's a pretty danged good way to do it.

Have fun!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think you should look into suing them for age discrimination and then they will probably settle and you can have 3 paychecks :D

Enjoy your early retirement!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Work sucks anyway!

I've been retired 3 years now, and I can honestly say I haven't woken up one day so far and said "Gee, I wish I could go to work today".
Once you get away from the daily grind, you see how much work really sucks, bosses suck, being a slave sucks, and how freedom feels.
I see a former co-worker at the gym sometimes, and nothing has changed. The idiot bosses are still stressing out the hard working employees while they send each other memos asking for useless reports that make more work for people trying to take care of the customers.
If you can swing it financially, stay retired, it's the best part of your life.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update...got my first unemployment check and it is so sweet to know this company that laid me off, not only is paying me my salary for the next year, but also giving me an extra $275 per week for unemployment. It's extremely rare, but someimtes things do work out for the best. The wife is sort of getting used to going to work and leaving me sitting at home, but it will take some more time. I try not to make a deal out of this, but when she pulls out of the driveway I can't help but :p. I have a half acre landscaped yard so I spend a couple of hours trimming this or pruning that, but it sure beats having to put up with the general workplace crap. I rarely put the cover on the beast anymore, since I try and ride her at least a little every day:doorag:. And after 3 years with My 9 I still get that ear to ear grin when I stradle her and fire her up :a18:

Enjoy the ride

1 - 15 of 15 Posts