M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the 109 at home as I had quite a bit of luggage to carry and prospect of getting wet was fairly high this time of year in the Sth Island.
Midnight ride from home to Wellington over the Rimutaka Ranges ( very strong winds) for 2am sailing of the Inter-Islander ferry to Picton.
Had to wait an hour at the terminal before boarding the ferry and the wind was strong enough that I was concerned that the FJR might blow off it's side stand.

Arrived Picton (map 31) 5am and off towards Kaikoura (34) as daylight broke.

As light got better the first of an amazing range of Sth Isl. bridge constructions that I would see on this trip appeared..this one had a rail line going over the top of it. The roads were great and with little traffic you could wind it up if you wanted but had to be wary of these one lane bridges that appeared out of nowhere.

First view of the coast that I would follow down to Kaikoura (best know for it''s Whale watching trips)

Overcast day in Kaikoura with the northen end of the Southern Alps in the background.

The trip from there to Cristchurch was uneventfull except for a traffic cop stopping me for 115/100 km. I gave him my licence and made a comment about it being a pretty rough photo and asked if he needed me to take off my helmet.
He replied that: "If I looked like that photo he would rather I didn't" and gave me a warning!

Christchurch to Akaroa (#39 on the Banks Peninsula). Akaroa was settled early in the 1800's by a boatload of french colonists who were unaware that the Treaty of Waitangi had not long been signed between the Brit's and the NZ Maori. Could have been 'Nouvelle Zealande'!

First view of Akaroa Harbour

a great ride with plenty of testing corners and hills, with a very nice little township on the water

One of the main reasons for the timing of this trip was to attend a 2 day Martial Arts Seminar in Christchurch with the legendary Patrick McCarthy

www.society.webcentral.com.au/patrick.htm

A photo shot at the end with Hanchi Mc Carthy and friends (me 2nd left)..sorry I couldn't take any shots during the seminar for commercial reasons.Â
First day was Ne Waza (Jiu Jitsu ground fighting) and the second was Kenjutsu (Samurai Swordsmanship)..new to me, but really interesting.
(My neck still feels like it it has my head on backwards)!

Day 4 will be trip over Arthurs Pass through the Alps to the West Coast and down to the Haast Pass... I just need to get some of the 160 photos I took, ready for posting

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Great looking trip rasputin. Looks like you had very interesting ride. Maybe one day I'll get down there too. Hope you get your head straight, but it looks like you can take care of yourself.

·
Registered
292 Posts
well that explains your avatar......with that belt you could whomp on anybody :super:.....nice scenery I never realized that there was snow covered mountains in new zealand......is it true that draining water spirals counter clock wise down under? :joke:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts