M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know this is probably going to be an obvious "DO IT" on this chat site, but I was wondering if anyone switched from a C50 to the M109? How happy with it are you. Looking a late season switch.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
if you feel like you are ready for a bigger bike would say, as you said above, DO IT!! you will not regret it at all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
:welcome:
I rode a C50 for years. It was fine but in the fall of 07 I knew I had to have the red 109. Traded and I haven't had any regrets. I have almost 17,000 on the 9 and I may trade it when the 2011's come out. I'm 67 years old so I need a dependable bike. But far the money the C50 was good. I put 24,000 on mine. No real issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I traded an 05 C50T for my 08 109, the C50 was a very good bike and I enjoyed it but there is no replacement for the power and looks of the 109. No regrets here.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have ridden the C50. Sure seems the decision is EASY. The 9 is just so different.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have been riding the 109 for over 2 years now and recently my neighbor got a C50. He wanted me to ride it up the road so I did and I could not believe the difference in the feel and power. The 109 is a beast:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I owned an m50 for a year. It was a great bike, light and comfortable.But it was time for a change for sure:bigthumbsup:
Purchased mine last year brand new, and ride with a **** eating grin every time I'm on it. Put on 17,000 kms on it so far and still going :a18::a18::a18:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
step upto m109

So you guys have almost convinced me! 2 questions do the majority of you ride with full face helmets or put a small windshield or even a fairing.

My c50 is lowered 2.5 inches, piped, bullied and K&N with a national cycle deflector windscreen just windgusts. How bad are the windgusts or transport gust on the M109?

Thanks guys everybody is being very helpful!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The 9 was my first bike and I don't regret it a bit. Go for it!

The winshield is something that have not tried yet, but would like to pick one up for long trips. I barely even notice the wind gusts anymore unless I am carrying 80 lbs in my backpack. Then my shoulders end up working overtime to compensate for wind and the extra weight. I wear a skid lid around town and a full face if I am gonna go out and carve some corners or take a trip. Good luck in your search.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I wear a full face helmet mainly because I have seen what could happen if I did a face plant without one. With the heat we are having in Mississippi I would rather be wearing something else.
A windshield would be nice sometimes too.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I use a small Wind Vest screen just to keep the 80 mph wind from forcing my head back, works good I might add. The big wind shields don't look good to me on a 109. I always wear a ff modular helmet. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the V-stream windshield and ride with a half hement, love the winshield won't take it off and works great at high speeds

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Tobrak went from a c-50 to the 109 Pm him, he's on the New England alot.
And like the Chevy ad.! With a slite change, it's not more than you need. IT'S JUST MORE THAN YOUR USE TO:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
838 Posts
I did exactly what you should be doing. I bought an 08 C 50 (May 08) put over 8k on it. Went on a 6 month deployment and decided that I was going to get a 109. July 09 My new orange M109r was waiting for me at my local dealership. Being that this was only me second bike and bigger than the 50 I was worried about how it handled. For it's size I think it was well ballanced. Better than the 50.
There were two things that I did not like about the 50. I have a 34" inseam. The way they desinged the back of the front seat to go over the mounting sucks. rubbed against my tail bone.
The second was it lacked power for me. 805cc is a really good size for around town and short spurts on the open road. To me it was screaming for me to slow down (80mph)
The 109 has taken care of both of those and more. JUMP ON IT!!!!!

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
I know it has only been 14 hours, but have you bought one yet? Life is short, get what makes you happy. Just respect the 9 and you will be fine.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I haven't found a windshield that I like the looks of on the 9. However, I seldom travel by highway so it is not really a pressing issue for me. For the helmet, dress for the crash, not the ride!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Got the V-Stream touring and ride with a Full face all the time. Of course you can't ride far without getting on a freeway in LA. Traffic can get up to 85mph on weekends easy. I tried the half helmet and no windshield to keep the experince "pure" but catch a bug or a pebble in the face at 70 MPH and I guarentee you will rethink that choice. Anyway, I think the bike looks better with the V-stream.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Hey guys,

I know this is probably going to be an obvious "DO IT" on this chat site, but I was wondering if anyone switched from a C50 to the M109? How happy with it are you. Looking a late season switch.

Thanks for your help
i came from riding sportbikes for over 15 years so i definitely needed a cruiser that had plenty of power. the 109 fits the bill perfectly. it still isn't a sportbike, but that is like comparing apples to oranges.

a friend of mine purchased a C50 shortly after i purchased my first 109 back in 2006. the bike is very nice and comfortable. however, the power just isn't there. but in his case, he was just learning how to ride so he went the safer route and bought the bike with less power, which i commend him for doing. he has been wanting to trade in his C50 and get a 109 for two years now, but the wifey won't let him. LOL.

so let me just say that if you have the means (and the wifey's permission LOL), then go for the 109.
You will NEVER regret it !!! :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts