M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the steering lock on my m109r broken and I want to remove it, as it feels unsafe to ride with it in its current state.

It looks like the bolts/screws will need to be extacted, as anyone else had to do this? what type of extractor did you use?

Thanks

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
4,099 Posts
I recently had the steering lock on my m109r broken and I want to remove it, as it feels unsafe to ride with it in its current state.

It looks like the bolts/screws will need to be extacted, as anyone else had to do this? what type of extractor did you use?

Thanks
As I m not close to to my bike, I can´t answer your question,
evidently I had no need to perform such a task , but I am sure
some members will chime in with suggestions soon..
Welcome to the forum! Cheers!... 🍻

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
4,099 Posts
It looks to me that the lock is held in by sheering bolt which beaks the head off after the lock is secured, . You will need to get to the rest of the bolt with a small grinding tool to make a slot in it to be able to use flathead screwdriver and try to extract it. Otherwise you will need to drill the bolt out... Here is the bolt...:
https://www.cmsnl.com/vzr1800n-boul...33_model33862/screw-steering-lock_5192548g00/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I get how it can look that way, but I am not trying to steal anyone's bike. As is evident with how mine was broken, a steering lock is no use to protect a bike from being stolen. Someone broke mine by violently yanking the handlebars, but since I have disc lock and a chain on it, it didn't go anywhere.

Those black circles in hogans picture are rubber/plastic caps (at least they are on mine) the sheared off screws are under them. I have a video of my broken lock if that would make you happier?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are designed to be sheared off. Once they are at torque, the hex tops will shear off in the socket. A security mecahnism to make removing the lock housing harder.

If you look at the link thevili posted, you can see where it shears off, at the narrow point below the hex head. Leaving just the rounded dome.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think I've used a steering lock once or twice in the past 50+ years. Mostly because I forget that most, if not all bikes have them. I had a bike that was made to use a padlock to lock the steering. I haven't had a bike stolen...yet.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I think I've used a steering lock once or twice in the past 50+ years. Mostly because I forget that most, if not all bikes have them. I had a bike that was made to use a padlock to lock the steering. I haven't had a bike stolen...yet.
Me too. I've never used the steering lock on my Nine. Rarely ever used them on any of the many previous bikes I've owned since 1976. Totally useless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMHO,
when I look at the problem, those are installed such a way that
unsrew it is more or less imposible without taking part of the motorcycle
apart ... It make sense, doesent it?
It would do, if the thing didn't break if you yank the handlebars around. Now it is just a liablity and making me nervous to ride.

I will have to see how far I can get with drilling out the screws, I don't plan on replacing it so just getting it off is good enough.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,651 Posts
I have a 1980 HD Sportster 1000 that I've had since 1986, and it has the rings on the triple tree that you can put a padlock through. I've never used one on it, and I don't think I've ever used the steering lock on my 109 other than just to see if the key fit it. I do have a disc brake lock for it but I'm not even sure where it is. Guess I don't lock them up either. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.