M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stebel right side panel question

Hey Guys,

I have a stebel installed in the headlight cowl at present. I am getting new handlebars and want to install the tacho in the cowl and need to move the horn to the right side panel just under the seat. I know someone has done this mod and posted a how-to a while ago and was wondering if anyone knew where I can find it. I also know that when I bought the plug-n-play wiring kit the fella who was selling them also sold the kit for the horn to be installed in the left side panel. If you know about any of this or can give me some advice I would be greatful.

DULA

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
Here's how I had mine mounted. It's in the headlight now.

You have to fabricate a bracket. This is just an L bracket that the horn bolted to and is then attached to the bike. You can see where I mounted the relay. Make sure you mount the horn high enough that the swingarm won't hit it.

I also routed the wiring through the bottom of the horn so it wouldn't short out on the swingarm. I haven't seen anyone else do this, so it's probably not necessary.

You probably got your wiring kit from Rynosback. I wired my own but he does a nice kit.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It will not fit on the left side, but works perfect on the right side. I agree with ZOOM on getting the harness from Ryan.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I belive someone stated that the horn does fit with the tach relocated. It fits in the M90 with the tach in the headlight bucket. Replied to your Pm also.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Here's how I had mine mounted. It's in the headlight now.

You have to fabricate a bracket. This is just an L bracket that the horn bolted to and is then attached to the bike. You can see where I mounted the relay. Make sure you mount the horn high enough that the swingarm won't hit it.

I also routed the wiring through the bottom of the horn so it wouldn't short out on the swingarm. I haven't seen anyone else do this, so it's probably not necessary.

You probably got your wiring kit from Rynosback. I wired my own but he does a nice kit.
I wish I would have seen how you did this before I installed mine. I trimmed the walls and bent the connection down. With the horn in it's new home, 2" lowering bones and the shock set at the factory setting. Hitting some rough roads it bottoms out pretty good. :verymad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
stebel horn installed

I GOT MY HORN FROM DIRECT LINE ON MONDAY AND INSTALLED IT THE SAME WAY. I THOUGHT THE STRAIGHT SLIDE ON TERMINALS MIGHT HIT ON ROUGH ROADS SO I GOT 90 DEGREE SLIDE TERMINALS FROM OREILLEYS AND WORKED OUT GREAT.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Go with the kit from Rynosback, I used it and the install took me about 40 minutes. Great pics and the harness will save you from any wiring headaches.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I GOT MY HORN FROM DIRECT LINE ON MONDAY AND INSTALLED IT THE SAME WAY. I THOUGHT THE STRAIGHT SLIDE ON TERMINALS MIGHT HIT ON ROUGH ROADS SO I GOT 90 DEGREE SLIDE TERMINALS FROM OREILLEYS AND WORKED OUT GREAT.
The only way to go in my book and the only way that I install them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Right side mount.

I mounted mine under the right side cowl. The bolt on the Stebel mounted right through the battery box wall and the nut is on the inside. Worked good and doesn't hit.

G

·
man....I want one...but just feel too damn lazy to do this myself

lol who want's to come install one on my bike :dontknow::bigthumbsup::p

·
Registered
2,703 Posts

Get the kit from Rynosback and ride to Missouri. I will knock it out for ya!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
ryno's kit makes it pretty simple and keeps the stock horn in the loop so if one goes out you still have a back up

I had room for the horn and gorilla alarm under right side cover

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts

I have installed them on many local owners bikes. If you are in VA I would think that you are an hour away. I am sure that we can working something out. :D

·
Registered
838 Posts

I would have gotten the plug and play from Rynosback, but I was going on a long road trip a few days later. Didin't think I would have enough time to have it mailed.
I don't like messing with wires. Reading the instructions with the kit and going off of what I have read on here I was able to do it with no problem. Tapped into the stock horn. Longest part for me was locating a mount spot and making a bracket for it. Few hours for me. Took my sweet time. Wanted to make sure I was doing it right. All in all. Horn mounted. No fried wires and a horn that gets attention every time it speaks. :bow:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts