M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need some help.

How the hell do you wire this relay to the 4 cables???

I have googled, searched here, searched on the Stebel website and all though I found the horn, I can't seem to fine the wiring instructions.

I found 2 diagrams & they haven't helped me out for sh*t, unless I'm doing everything wrong.

Here's the relay

What wire goes to what?

I didn't install it myself originally (done at a shop)
& the other day, I noticed that my horn wasn't working, so I looked at the battery terminal and was 100% sure that everything seemed intact.

So I went ahead and disassembeled plastics to get to the fuses, they were fine & since they were fine, I figured it was the relay.
So I go to the local Autozone and buy me a new relay.

But dummy me, I unplugged the 4 cables that go to the relay, without remember what goes where.

So I went online and I found this

& also found this

I have tried and tried wiring these cables back and it doesn't seem to work.
I install everything, give it a honk & it seems to work.

I put everything back together and then honk again and nothing :cus: :cus: :cus:

I check the fuse and

TOAST!!!

I have burned 3 already messing with 4 damn connectors that go to the relay trying to put everything back to how it used to be.

I have the RED cable that's going to the battery connected to the 30
Then I have another RED cable and I think that's supposed to go to the 87

Then I have a black or brown and orange cable and a black and blue cable that I have switched back n forth between the 86 post and the 85 post and nothing, it just blows my little fuse out after one honk.

What the :edit: am I doing wrong????

Is there any easy (FOR BIG DUMMYS LIKE ME) pictures in color that I can follow so that I get this thing back to working???

I don't want to have to take it to the stealer so please help me out guys.

Worst part of it all is that the originally problem was the connector to the battery that was broken, so I did all this :edit: for nothing....

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sure looks like you have everything right there in front of you to me.

Looks like:
85 is were Ground lead goes.
86 is were the horn button / switch goes
87 is were the actual horn hooks up
30 is the lead with the fuse on it and it goes to a 12 volt source.

Should have bought Ryno's lead kit...I'm just sayin'

Jeff / Foo

Anyone...feel free to correct me if I am leading him the wrong direction.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but which color is the ground lead?
& which color is the horn hook up?

The only one I know I have right is the 30 to the fuse because i can easily tell where that wire is going to (the battery)

But the other 3 wires are just zipped tied together and are running under the frame & into the headlight housing (where my horn is located) so I don't know which is which....

Is there any instructions that just shows you.

Blue to 80 something
& orange to 80 something etc etc???

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I do not mean to come across as an ass, because I can't help! But i'm sure as hell happy I bought Ryan's stebal wiring harness:eek: But you might have something here, why I say that is the harness he made for me no one else has. My harness has (2) Stebals hooked up plus, the stock one incase the Stebal dies I still have the meeep meeep horn! But only 1 Stebal is working now the one behind the side cover has stopped working, AND MAYBE IT'S THAT RELAY! HOPE THATS MY ISSUE:bigthumbsup: Good luck!! And I won't pull the wires off, till I have the new one in my hand:eek:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeah but which color is the ground lead?
& which color is the horn hook up?

The only one I know I have right is the 30 to the fuse because i can easily tell where that wire is going to (the battery)

But the other 3 wires are just zipped tied together and are running under the frame & into the headlight housing (where my horn is located) so I don't know which is which....

Is there any instructions that just shows you.

Blue to 80 something
& orange to 80 something etc etc???
Get you a volts/ohm meter and check each wire at the horn and at the relay. This will tell you which one is which.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
This is why board members here purchase Ryans (Rynosback) wiring harness for the 109. I am a dumbass when it comes to mechanic stuff and even I was able to install the stebel horn correctly the first time :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get you a volts/ohm meter and check each wire at the horn and at the relay. This will tell you which one is which.
Thanks Golfer, but I'm still lost.
But how much is that going to run me?
& then how do I check it?

I guess I'll take some close up pics tomorrow to show you guys what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't think it was so hard, doesn't Stebel have instructions on how to connect this to the relay???
Like 1 to 1
2 to 2
3 to 3
I Need some dummy proof instructions...

I'm sure they do and when I go on their website I can see that there's an
"ASSEMBLY OUTLINE" but I can't click on it to open it.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not sure why folks keep mentioning Ryans harness, since you stated the shop installed this horn for you :dontknow:, but let me try to help.

You already said that you can tell which one connects to terminal 30 because of the fuse. Look inside the headlight housing and see what color wire of the remaining 3 is connected to the positive (+) terminal of the Stebel. Connect that color wire to terminal 87 of the relay. Now take the remaining two wires and connect them to the remaining terminals. You have a 50/50 chance of getting this right but it shouldn't do any damage if you get it wrong the first time. Now try beeping the horn. If it works, you're good to go. If it doesn't work, swap the positions of these two remaining wires and then you should be good to go (assuming you don't have other problems). :bigthumbsup:

Hope this helps.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
The easiest way would be to trace the wires in that bundle. Yeah, it means pulling some things apart, but there's no common color code for wires when it's a custom installation like this.

You know what the hot wire is, it's the one with the fuse. That goes to #30.

Find which wire in the bundle goes to a ground wire or grounds to the frame. It could also go to the horn, since the horn has a ground wire too. That one will go to #85. If you look at the first wiring diagram, it says Horn on it but it shows it being grounded.

Find which other wire is connected to the Stebel itself. That will go to #85.

That gives you two out of three you need, so the other one goes to #86.

You can switch #85 and #86 and it will still work. They are for the solenoid portion of the relay and can be reversed in 99.9% of the relays.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
:agree::agree: And you can use a simple test light to test the leads instead of pulling it all apart. Have you checked the fuse with a test light or just the visual check? Because some fuses can have a hairline break that can cause them to work sometimes and not others.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The guys have given you all you need to know. Just take your time and do it. I installed the similar Bad Boy horn and a 12 volt plug for my phone. It took me a while, but well worth it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FIXED!!!

I'm not sure why folks keep mentioning Ryans harness, since you stated the shop installed this horn for you :dontknow:, but let me try to help.

You already said that you can tell which one connects to terminal 30 because of the fuse. Look inside the headlight housing and see what color wire of the remaining 3 is connected to the positive (+) terminal of the Stebel. Connect that color wire to terminal 87 of the relay. Now take the remaining two wires and connect them to the remaining terminals. You have a 50/50 chance of getting this right but it shouldn't do any damage if you get it wrong the first time. Now try beeping the horn. If it works, you're good to go. If it doesn't work, swap the positions of these two remaining wires and then you should be good to go (assuming you don't have other problems). :bigthumbsup:

Hope this helps.
Thanks TheRone,

Your right, I tried this but still kept burning my fuse.

So I kepted googling yesterday at work trying to find out the solution.
& I figured even though almost all the diagrams (even the one from Stebel) say to connect the hot wire going to the battery to the 30 post, I found a few that they were connected to the 87.

So I went ahead and left the blacks where they were, and swapped out the reds and WAALAA!!!

HONK, HONK, HONK, HONK & no burnt fuse :clap2:

I'm glad I got it to work, but it's crazy how the diagram from their site shows you clearly that the wire with fuse should go to the 30 post, yet that was my problem...

Oh well :dontknow:

Thanks again everyone for all the ideas & tips.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
4 spots on relay.
1 = is ground
2 = is from original horn ,and tells the relay to connect 3 to 4
to let juice go through .
so if you 12 volt in on 3 , you put new horn on 4
but the opposite still makes the 12 volts go through
so 4 to 3 , or 3 to 4 , you get horn.;)
your #2 probably made the connection from 12 volts
(#3 or 4 on relay ) to ground ( # 1 on relay ) ,
so burning the fuse everytime.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't mean to be an A$$ but if you don't know more about how relays and electricity work, better to let someone who does do it. Those schemes and relay were very clear how it was to be hooked up. Next time you might not be so lucky and only smoke the fuse. It would be a real bitch while trying to hook a $70.00 horn that you fry your $800.00 ECU or worse, catch the bike on fire.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I don't mean to be an A$$ but if you don't know more about how relays and electricity work, better to let someone who does do it. Those schemes and relay were very clear how it was to be hooked up. Next time you might not be so lucky and only smoke the fuse. It would be a real bitch while trying to hook a $70.00 horn that you fry your $800.00 ECU or worse, catch the bike on fire.
Easy, easy... You paint a very dark picture there Rusty.:-\

·
Registered
120 Posts
Glad you got it working Biglex. :bigthumbsup: Although its still a mystery why you were burning fuses because it really makes no difference at all if you swap the wires that should be connected to terminal 30 and 87. :dontknow: Enjoy the Stebel.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dude you are being an A$$,

Did you read (& understand) my original post?
I never said I knew about relay's / electrical work & that's why I came here to ask for some tips.

I have paid a "PROFESSIONAL" to do almost everything on my bike (Including the original install on my horn and HID lights), since I don't have the tools, place to work on the bike or the full knowledge of a mechanic. Times are hard now (economy) so instead of taking it to the stealer & paying at least $50 or $100 for them to do something as easy as connecting this relay right, I would much rather come on here and ask some friends for help.

Of course I'm worried I could mess something up, & that's why I came on here asking for help.

:confused:

Again, to everyone else, MUCHAS GRACIAS EVERYONE
I hope you all liked my Thumbs Up
:D

·
Registered
547 Posts
As I said I didn't mean to be an A$$, but again those schematics and the relay were very clear. Just didn't want your bike screwed up. How many times has someone asked for help here or any other board that that the advice turned out incorrect and ends up making things worse? I can think of a few. I guess what I meant to say was find a buddy that understands electricity and have him look at it since your shop was not able to. Just don't want you to F up your bike or get hurt, that's all.

·
Registered
766 Posts
This is why board members here purchase Ryans (Rynosback) wiring harness for the 109. I am a dumbass when it comes to mechanic stuff and even I was able to install the stebel horn correctly the first time :bigthumbsup:
:agree: 100 percent. Ryan's harness does make a hell of a lot of difference

1 - 19 of 19 Posts