M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was reading through the many posts about the Stebel Compact Nautilus horn, and there are some good instructions on here for how to install it. There were a couple of people that mentioned that they actually mounted theirs under the headlight cowl. Unfortunately they didn't include any input on how to do it, how well it has worked for them, how difficult it is, etc. Pictures would be great, too.

If anyone reads this that has mounted their horn there, please reply and let us all know how it is done and how well it is working.

Thanks!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I replied to a person a few months ago who was going to mount that horn somewhere near or in the headlight nacelle.
It's so freakin' loud that I wouldn't be able to stand honking it if it were that close to my ears :eek: Maybe I'm a clutz, but I've hit the horn button on accident a few times and it would scare me, initially, then really p!ss me off to have that thing go off that close to my head when I wasn't expecting it - just like it would if a vehicle with one pulled right up behind me and blasted me :verymad: Maybe I'm just gun shy, though... a couple of the guys I work with (railroad) like to blast the locomotive horn when someone is walking past. We use remote-control locomotives, so they can be standing several hundred feet away and do it. Very funny :swear: :realmad:

Good luck with the installation. It's one of the best and cheapest safety mods (along with lighting) that can be done to a motorcycle. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still no input from those that said they put their horn behind the headlight? I'm hoping to install mine this weekend, but would really like to hear of other mounting options.

·
Registered
414 Posts
rideutah said:
Still no input from those that said they put their horn behind the headlight? I'm hoping to install mine this weekend, but would really like to hear of other mounting options.
Probably because no one can make it fit there...

G

·
I know that no one likes to waste time...but I would just get in there and see if you can get it to fit. I want to mount mine there as well and have asked before about mounting it under the headlight cover. I had about as much response as you on this thread. I was also thinking about fitting it under the radiator housing...I think thats where the stock horn is. I've never had that cover off...so I don't know how much room is there. Please let me know what you end up doing with your horn. Thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, nice job. So it all fits inside the cowl, and cannot be seen from outside? Did you have to move anything around in there to make it fit? How do you like it so far? Looks very nice! I think I'll have to try that. I haven't broken into the headlight area. In fact, haven't done anything yet. Just need to replace the front tire due to the THREE screws I mentioned in another post. :(

Thanks!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
good job perry & thanks for the pic's :bigthumbsup:

now i have a question.. is the relay for the horn under the light cover  or is there not one at all??
did you need to add a relay?? or did you just plug and play?

thanks
kurt

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'll try to answer this one, YES, use a relay, I don't have one on the 109 but I did hook the Stebel on my old C-50! Use the original horn wires and let them be the trigger for the relay, run Hot wire and Ground for the other post on the relay and you are DONE! :bigthumbsup: It's really a simple install, ;) don't forget a 20-30 amp inline fuse from the battery.....OH the sound of these horns, sounds better in person than on the sound blogs or whatever they call them. It really makes people take notice. :bigthumbsup:

Don

·
Registered
131 Posts
Interesting install.
But doesn't the Stebel installation manual say, that the horn should be installed with the compressor UPRIGHT and the air intake TO THE REAR to avoid any malfunction?
As I see it you installed the compressor lying and the air intake up front!

Besides how did you do the wiring back to the battery?
Did you remove the tank for that?

The wiring should be heat proof, because it gets pretty hot over the cylinders...

Otherwise this looks very interesting.
But I plan to install my STEBEL behind the right cover under the seat, to keep the wiring as short as possible and easy to install/remove.

There is an installation "step by step" on this forum for the STEBEL airhorn...

G

·
Dickschiff said:
Interesting install.
But doesn't the Stebel installation manual say, that the horn should be installed with the compressor UPRIGHT and the air intake TO THE REAR to avoid any malfunction?
As I see it you installed the compressor lying and the air intake up front!

Besides how did you do the wiring back to the battery?
Did you remove the tank for that?

The wiring should be heat proof, because it gets pretty hot over the cylinders...

Otherwise this looks very interesting.
But I plan to install my STEBEL behind the right cover under the seat, to keep the wiring as short as possible and easy to install/remove.

There is an installation "step by step" on this forum for the STEBEL airhorn...
I'm pretty sure that only applies if you are mounting the horn in a area where its exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Perry:

Someone mentioned that they thought putting the Air Horn in the headlight might put it too close to your ears for comfort. Any issues there in your experience?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
tomph1 said:
 Perry:

Someone mentioned that they thought putting the Air Horn in the headlight might put it too close to your ears for comfort. Any issues there in your experience?
Tom.....Perry seems to have some trouble HEARING you..perhaps the Stebel was too close?
I can see we are all going to have to shout in UPPER CASE to talk to any of the guys who install the Stebel. :joke:

·
Registered
414 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
I'll go take a couple pics for you ....wait a minute or two and I'll be right back,....sorry didn'y see it till now!

I stand corrected...Nice job...but when you hit the horn how long does it take for the ringing to stop? :joke:
I think I know what my next upgrade will be...the next time they try cutting me off will be fun!!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
THANKS Perry :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

did my horn mod today

fast way to do it is
unplug the OEM horn pull the harness thru the radiator opening on top
wire your new horn and mount it ..run the wires out the bottom (you will see the opening) to the OEM harness plug it up and push it back in were it use to be.. put her back together and thats it ... your 109 sound like a lambo :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts