M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mounted the horn in the headlight bucket and it worked fine for several days until I rode 200 miles in a heavy rain and stoped working. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?? Thanks!!!! STEVE

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
Check the inline fuse for it first, then the relay. If you used the relay that came with the kit they aren't a very good relay.

·
Registered
595 Posts
After checking the inline fuse...

The most likely culprit is a bad relay. Use a multimeter ($15 at Walmart if you don't own one) or circuit tester to check for voltage at the both sides of the relay with the bike turned on and the horn button pressed. (with horn button pressed you should have voltage at all four relay terminals)

If you do have voltage reaching the horn with the button pressed then the horn is bad. Either a manufacturing defect or it got wet somehow and must be replaced.

I've had a stebel mounted in the headlight bucket for over a year now including riding in a few heavy rain downpours and never had a problem with it yet.
Also please note that for the built in air compressor to work properly the horn must be mounted vertically ie: compressor body (cylinder) straight up and down and the horn mouth down just like this:

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Check the inline fuse for it first, then the relay. If you used the relay that came with the kit they aren't a very good relay.
I would agree. Those are the most common failures. But your relay should be in you headlight with the horn. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Where in MD are you?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
:agree: Dang rain anyway LOL,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts