M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a mod i made today using 12" flex LED's from custom dynamics. i left the stock turn signals on so you can compare the brightness, but they are comin off now.

applying the 3M double sided tape

with cowl on, lit room

unlit room, turn signals on to compare brightness

side view

not only does it clean up the rear, but it is more visible from the sides than the stock signals. the lights are totally unnoticable until lit. it's 2-up unfriendly, however. but, i will only ever ride 1 up on this bike.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Very slick ,i like it . I'd say 95 % of my riding will be by myself so that 's something i would'nt mind doing ... once i get one off course :D.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Brilliant! :bigthumbsup: If I didn't plan on doing any 2-up I would definitely do this mod tomorrow!. But not an option for me. Girlfriend(s) would definitely be bummed.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Could you apply those same lights to the bottom edge of the fender. I know they would be a bit lower but for those who ride two up it may be a option. Either way you have a great idea....thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, these are the same lights they put around the bottom of the fender. you just have to make a mount, as i don't think there is one for our fender yet. they are also the same lights that wrap around the forks to make 360 degree front turn signals. i think those are my next project.

·
Registered
438 Posts
wow man.. great work.

can you take pics of the install in the day so you can see more??

why won't the pass seat work with these?

·
Registered
817 Posts
TonyRumble said:
why won't the pass seat work with these?
The cowl has about 1/4" gap that lets the lights shine through. When the seat is on, there is no gap. The seat mounts flush to the bike...

G

·
Geez,,just did it another way and now you show me this :bigthumbsup:,,...and its what I gotta have...Thanks....Looks so cool....About what is the cost and did you have to  put in a resistor of sort to get the to flash slow?Laters.... :D 

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
That looks awesome, but I think I will wait till the under fender mount. I do ride 2 up every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the LED strips are $90 a pop, and ya need 2.  the 3M tape is a few bucks from autozone.  the wiring...i took old power plug molex's out of spare computer power wiring, to make it easilly pluggable/unpluggable when removing the back fender.  that's about it...couple hundred bucks.

as for the resistor, i think i will need one, especially when i put the front LED's on (they are on the same circuit).

*edit: edited price, i misquoted before*

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I plan at some point of removing the license plate bracket and installing a side mount which I'm going to fab from polished stainless. Your mod is exactly what I was looking for turn signals....I'll also fab a flat bracket and install it so I can locate the LED's at the bottom fender edge.

Do you have a source for the LED's......those you used are extremely bright

Thanks again for sharing a great mod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like that you have it high up on the bike
better than CD's set up for the Mean Streak

I bet they don't waste any time on the same
set up for the 109

Spencer

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I think that is one of the coolest mods I've seen. :bigthumbsup: I sent you a PM about the details. I want to get those in our store. 8)

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
phaed said:
the LED strips are $90 a pop, and ya need 2. the 3M tape is a few bucks from autozone. the wiring...i took old power plug molex's out of spare computer power wiring, to make it easilly pluggable/unpluggable when removing the back fender. that's about it...couple hundred bucks.

as for the resistor, i think i will need one, especially when i put the front LED's on (they are on the same circuit).

*edit: edited price, i misquoted before*
I was going to ask you about that. ;)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the compliments. the source is custom dynamics down near the bottom of the page. it's the 12 inch amber, 100 LED per foot.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Very nice!! I really like this Mod!! Unfortunately or fortunately however you look at it, I ride 2 up a good portion of the time, so I'll have to mount it to the bottom of the fender. Great job!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Lamonster said:
I think that is one of the coolest mods I've seen. :bigthumbsup: I sent you a PM about the details. I want to get those in our store. 8)
Lamont.....they are already in the VTX sight at directlineparts.com......as of today they were not on the 109 sight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts