M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to say Thank You to everyone at this forum. Great tips and How To's!:bigthumbsup:

I'm not really into Dyno tests or more horse power ,etc., specs. I just want my bike to run well and take advantage of all the technology and power that Suzuki provides at an affordable price. So here are my recent mod experiences.

Gman Stealth Intake:
The increased air flow has made a major difference in the way the engine responds. It starts quicker, cruises and accelerates smoother. Seems like this big engine needed to breathe.
I did have to remove the gas tank in order to get my big hands around the upper parts and to line it up correctly.
The right side front cylinder engine fin screw provided was too short to screw the mount to the fins, so I just used the bolt from the original mount and it worked. Don't know why, it's all lined up and I can't get it any closer, so the longer bolt worked with the spacer just fine.
I also adjusted my Bully for stock pipes (drilled baffles) as suggested by Gman (G-2,Y-3,R-2,GB-2,YB-4.5,RB-5), and she's running smooth as silk.
Thanks to Gman for great product, quick shipping, and excellent contact with any tech help!

Shift Star:
I couldn't have done this without Big Poppa's instructions, and especially the tip about doing it in first gear so you can tighten the Star easily.
There is no wire attached to a screw as the instructions show for the M109, but there is a wire holder for the stator connections. I had to push them back a little in order to get the cover out.
(I drained my oil first because I planned to change to T6 Synthetic and K&N filter anyway) Even after draining, this is an oily, messy job. I caught most with a towel as I removed the cover, but it's still an oil coated environment.
The spring is much larger and stronger than stock, they should have done this from the factory.
How does it shift? It feels and clunks about the same, BUT, the gears click in very deliberately now and I have no trouble downshifting to first.
The "like you mean it" shifiting is still needed but it doesn't fight me and freeze up like the stock setup, it clicks right where it is supposed to go. I have no problem finding neutral either. I give this a thumbs up!

I plan to change the stock pipes to Cobra Dragsters soon in order to let her exhale better as well as breathe deep ;).

Thanks Again.
Bro Bill

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I change my oil, I have cut one side of a 5 qt oil bottle, that works for me, and I have very little mess.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the oil change went fine and I caught the remaining oil when I removed the shift cover, but all of the parts, shift star, spring, arm, etc. are oily and slippery, so it just goes with the territory.
No one mentioned this in any of the How To's (except one post did recommend draining the oil - glad I saw that one) so I just wanted to warn anyone else who attempts this mod.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Thanks, the oil change went fine and I caught the remaining oil when I removed the shift cover, but all of the parts, shift star, spring, arm, etc. are oily and slippery, so it just goes with the territory.
No one mentioned this in any of the How To's (except one post did recommend draining the oil - glad I saw that one) so I just wanted to warn anyone else who attempts this mod.
You pretty much lose the same amount of oil with or without the oil change. The oil sits in the side cover no matter what. I recommended the oil change because there isn't a great way of knowing how much you lose and we all know what a pain it is to check the oil on these bikes. Figured it is a perfect time to change and add the right amount so you know you are safe. Glad it went smooth and you are happy. It definitely isn't a cure-all but it really does help and I love it. I am fortunate to own 2 m109's (bikergranny and mind) and could compare. We did a Chinese fire drill at a light and I could tell the difference right away. Her's is an 08 and had 3k miles on it without the shift kit. Mine is an 07 and had 28k on it at the time with the shift kit and we both agreed mine was better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right, I wanted to switch to synthetic anyway so did it at the same time.
Just want to say thanks again, face to face, for the instructions and pics. I couldn't have done it without your help, the EVO guys make a good product but their instructions are minimal.

Here in Phoenix were expecting some cold, rainey, weather for a couple days before I can ride again, maybe this weekend, and put the star through it's paces. But my first ride after the install was impressive and shifted solidly.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You're right, I wanted to switch to synthetic anyway so did it at the same time.
Just want to say thanks again, face to face, for the instructions and pics. I couldn't have done it without your help, the EVO guys make a good product but their instructions are minimal.

Here in Phoenix were expecting some cold, rainey, weather for a couple days before I can ride again, maybe this weekend, and put the star through it's paces. But my first ride after the install was impressive and shifted solidly.

Happy New Year!
Glad it helped you out. I found the mental part of knowing I did it made me think it was the best thing since sliced bread on the initial test drive. After that, I realized it was a great overall improvement, but not a cure-all. Bikergranny (wife) bought her 08 and when it had 3k miles on it, we compared it to my 07 with 28k and the shift kit. We both noticed that my bike had a much better shift to it. Hers has 15k on it now and it has loosened up some so the shift kit is going to happen the next oil change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts