M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i went to start my bike this moring i turned the key and the speedo needle does it's thing, but the fuel pump noise doesnt happen so it wont start , Just cranks over, i leave it for 20 seconds or so then the fuel pump decides to wake up and it fires up no probs.

Done it 3 times today when i stopped at differant shops , when i came home i turned it off and on to try and get it to not start again but it works fine now.....today anyway.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I don'y know

Fuel pump going titz up maybe? :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts

:agree: That is the first thought that came to mind when I read the OPs post. I would at least take it in and have it looked at soon. You don't want to be far away from home, and have that fuel pump go out on you.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
By the way TBAR, what are you doing up so early in the morning? Being that you are retired, I thought you would have mastered the art of sleeping in late by now. :joke:

Anyway, I'll be seeing you later on today.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Bikes age/mileage? +1 on the f/p on it's way out. Hmmmm, maybe it's them Hong kong air intakes you installed. :dontknow:

;) sorry, couldn't help myself!! :D

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
No way - up at 3:30 AM this morning

Afraid I'm going to miss something. Anyway was awakned by one bitch of a cramp in my left leg.

By the way TBAR, what are you doing up so early in the morning? Being that you are retired, I thought you would have mastered the art of sleeping in late by now. :joke:

Anyway, I'll be seeing you later on today.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Loose connection/corrosion issue

I had the same issue with mine found out when raising/removing the tank sometimes when you disconnect and reconnect the plug mating surfaces might have had a little corrosion in them. I sprayed a shot of WD40 and reconnected and presto contact and have had no problems since. Will not say this cures your fuel pump ills but it cured mine.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bikes age/mileage? +1 on the f/p on it's way out. Hmmmm, maybe it's them Hong kong air intakes you installed. :dontknow:

;) sorry, couldn't help myself!! :D
06 model 27000k's........... trouble with fuel pumps you cant test them they either work or they dont.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
06 model 27000k's........... trouble with fuel pumps you cant test them they either work or they dont.
Why can't you test them. Lift the tank, test light or dvom, power it up and see if you have power and ground. Pretty simple. It will rule out the pump or indicate something wrong further up stream.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Look at the fuel pump connector under the tank. Could be a bad connection, or as some others have had, the yellow wire is coming out of the connector.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why can't you test them. Lift the tank, test light or dvom, power it up and see if you have power and ground. Pretty simple. It will rule out the pump or indicate something wrong further up stream.
]

cause you can hear the fuel pump making the noise when you turn the key on thats my theory test it is working...no noise it aint working.

its working as we speak.. might check that wire

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
]

cause you can hear the fuel pump making the noise when you turn the key on thats my theory test it is working...no noise it aint working.

its working as we speak.. might check that wire
Not true. Just cuz the pump makes noise, doesn't mean it has volume or pressure. It's the small over looked things while troubleshooting that will come back to get ya.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just did as per Manual says.

FUEL PUMP INSPECTION​
Turn the ignition switch ON and check that the fuel pump operates for few seconds.
If the fuel pump motor does not make operating sound, inspect the fuel pump circuit connections or inspect
the fuel pump relay and tip-over sensor.
If the fuel pump relay, tip-over sensor and fuel pump circuit connections are OK, the fuel pump may be​
faulty, replace the fuel pump with a new one.

still looking for the tip over sensor:-\

TIP-OVER SENSOR SIGNAL
(FUEL SHUT-OFF)
When the motorcycle tips over, the tip-over sensor sends a
signal to the ECM. Then, this signal cuts OFF current supplied
to the fuel pump, fuel injectors and ignition coils.

i guess if i does it again i'll just buy a new fuel pump,Just hope im not 100k's from home.:-\​

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
Noise from the fuel pump means absolutely nothing. I just did a fuel pump on a chevy truck with the vortex engine. At the fuel rail I was getting 53 pounds of pressure-I thought that was good. Come to find out it needed 58-60 in order too run. These fuel injected engines are a breed of their own. In the carb days a few pounds wouldnt be missed.

Fuel injection is very finiky...A few PSI can make a big diff between running and pushing...:evil:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
scotty, the tip over sensor is behind the left side plastic cover. It's in the wiring harness up near the frame rail and has what looks like a plastic cap on it. There is a connector there with a cap, but the TOS is an actual sensor. It just hangs out from the wiring harness.

Be sure and check the wires before you get a new pump. Take the connector apart and visually make sure the wires are fully inserted into it. I had one back out on mine when reinstalling the tanks and thought the pump was bad too.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
who is the best people to deal with online for OEM parts? Babbitts?

Here in Oz they want $424.00 for a fuel pump and $95 for a fuel filter...

they are ****ing dreamin!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts