M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I did a search on start, starting, starting bike...etc. didn't find anything. As many of you know i just had my rectifier and battery replaced. The bike now starts. But it still takes FOREVER to start. Most times it takes 3-4 hits of the start button and giving it gas to start. Any one else have this issue? and when i say hit the start button i dont hit it and left off real quick. i am talking about 3-4 sec hold and giving it gas and still nothing. Any clues?

·
Registered
485 Posts
.. and you shouldn't hit the gas should you since it's fuel injected? ???

·
Registered
115 Posts
ive had that problem with my C109 a few times, and once after letting it set for a few hours. mostly when it does it, it is when its cold. being a diesel technician by trade, we don't like dealing with intermitten problems, because they are hard to find. So I am reluctant to take the bike in yet, I know if I take it in the dealer will not be able to duplicate the problem therefore there is nothing they can do.

G

·
It can be a little tempermental if you don't give it time to cycle after turning the key on. The speedo does it's sweep and the SET cycles the ECV so wait a few seconds before hitting the start button. It should start right up without any throttle. If not there is something wrong and it should be fixed under warranty.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Ok, I did a search on start, starting, starting bike...etc. didn't find anything. As many of you know i just had my rectifier and battery replaced. The bike now starts. But it still takes FOREVER to start. Most times it takes 3-4 hits of the start button and giving it gas to start. Any one else have this issue? and when i say hit the start button i dont hit it and left off real quick. i am talking about 3-4 sec hold and giving it gas and still nothing. Any clues?
So it cranks strong but does not run, right? Are you letting the start up go through it's full cycle?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I never do and have not twisted the throttle while starting it up. There should be no need to.
:agree: IF you open the throttle it take lots more cranks to star. And thats if it starts. I catch myself from being a old cob rider so when i let it back off it starts.

Lots of the probs in these bikes are owner probs not bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok....blame it on never having a fuel injected bike before....i went out and hit the button (not throttle) and the bike started right up like it was just running. it has been sitting cold for almost 36 hours now. it has never started up that quickly. thanks again for the advice. just hit my 600 mile mark break in. now i can at least keep with traffic since i can go above 70 (3500 rpm for me).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh i forgot for hink, yes i do let it do it's thing when i turn the key. i let the speedometer needle go back and forth and wait for the noise (not sure what it is) after this stop. sounds like something cycling on the bike.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
ok....blame it on never having a fuel injected bike before....i went out and hit the button (not throttle) and the bike started right up like it was just running...
Common mistake bro. Glad you got it sorted out and are having fun again. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
838 Posts
ok....blame it on never having a fuel injected bike before....i went out and hit the button (not throttle) and the bike started right up like it was just running. it has been sitting cold for almost 36 hours now. it has never started up that quickly. thanks again for the advice. just hit my 600 mile mark break in. now i can at least keep with traffic since i can go above 70 (3500 rpm for me).
welcome to the world of the fuel injected motor. Glad to know it was human error. I bet there was a lot of head scratching before your post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts