M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I recently (3 weeks) bought a used 9 and I love it! It did not come with an owners manual and so I was wondering the correct on/off procedure. When I first began to ride it I would turn the key and the kill switch on and immediately start it before it completed its cycle as I didnt know that the cycle ended, I thought those motors always ran.

Is the correct procedure to turn the key, immediately turn the kill switch to on and then wait for the sounds to stop before hitting the button? Then to turn it off do I turn the kill switch off then wait for the sounds to stop then turn off the key? Also when driving at night do only the front running lights turn on and the rear ones are blinkers only or should they be on at all times as well? Also there is no gas cut off valve or anything, right? Thank you so much, I would be lost without you guys and your guidance. Thank you, Thomas.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Hope I remember all your questions, but here goes.
I when coming to the stop, use my kill switch. Than I turn off the key and flip the kill back to the start postion! But I or you, could just use the key to turn if off, which would save time flipping the kill switch twice!! But I normally use the kill switch, to turn it off, Then I flip it back in the start position and turn the key off. Yet in typing all this makes me think I spending to much time with the kill switch and key:eek:
And yes when you start your bike wait for it to cycle, (motors runing if you will) Wait for it to stop! Then start your motor. Hope that helps... Be Safe:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.

Makes perfect sense, thank you so much. You know now that I think about it, why do I make things so complicated? Maybe I need to just turn the bike on and then ride it, then when I am done riding, turn it off :) Thanks.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I turn off my bike by putting the kickstand down (shuts down) then I turn the key to off. My kill switch stays in the on position all the time.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i think what torq means at the end of it is; when starting the bike wait for the fuel pump to stop humming.

and its ok to use the kill switch.:bigthumbsup:

G

·
I like it simple. I rarely use the kill switch. When parking I like to leave it in 1st gear so it can't roll. So I just put the sidestand down and that kills the engine. Then I turn the key off. Getting on I put the sidestand up, turn the key on and count slowly to 5 and start it. You have to pull the clutch in anyway so it's already in gear and ready to go. The only time I use the kill switch is when I'm on an uneven surface and have to keep my left foot on the ground.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yet in typing all this makes me think I spending to much time with the kill switch and key:eek:
LOL!....That made me laugh.

Uuuuugh all I do is leaving it running and throw down my kickstand and that kills the engine. I'm not sure I've ever used the kill switch.

·
Registered
263 Posts
the 109 is a fuel injected bike, so there is no fuel shut off valve. Its all done electronically. That is why you wait for the bike to cycle completely which during its cycle the fuel system builds pressure, you will also hear the exhaust servo motor run a cycle as well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you..

That clears it up, I was wondering why the engine stopped when I put my kickstand down :) Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
OR ya could just watch the rev-counter...that shows whats happening with the start-up cycle...when that gets back to zero yer good to start :bigthumbsup:

:welcome: to the board :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I like that Kickstand trick idea:p I'll use that one! It's just many times I come rolling in Nutrual or have cluch in, flip my kill switch and just prior to the stop, while rolling slowly with my left foot reach the kickstand and drop it right when I come to a stop all in one action and hop off:bigthumbsup: I've had many people see me do this, and say you've done that before haven't you:eek:? I say no just bought the bike, and i'm figuring it out. BUT I do like the Kickstand trick:nojoke:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is all making sense now. I didn't think about fuel injection = no shut off valve, I am learning a lot from you guys, thank you . I want to kick myself for the 8-10 times I started the bike while it was cycling through its startup procedure.

I am nowhere near as smooth as Torq when I come rolling in. I come in wobbling at a bad angle trying to turn the signal off with the horn in too high of a gear....then it stalls and the kickstand goes down. :)

G

·
I don't think I've ever actually touched the kill switch...at least not intentionally. It will occasionaly get flipped as I'm washing, waxing, or polishing shiny things, but i usually don't notice until the next time I start her up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i do like the kickstand shut off switch........but that reminds of when i had my m50. i was pulling out from an intersection and when i swung my leg up find the peg, my pantleg caught the kickstand and brought that with it. my bike suddenly surged, and i was like....oh:edit:.....so i quick pulled the clutch in, hit the starter switch, and fired it up before i made myself look like to much of a fool. haha.....and my wife was opn the back, she thought we were goin down! I have since learned to cut off the back of my pantlegs where they tear from walking on them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
That clears it up, I was wondering why the engine stopped when I put my kickstand down :) Thank you all for your help.
Means you still have it in gear. It's a safety.. i just leave the kill switch on all the time and use the key and yes, let it "cycle" before you start.. RPM meter goes over and back, etc..

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
During a ride one time, Chad(Lucky06) was trying to keep up with me on my GSXR. I went through a few curves, looked back for Chad, and he wasn't there. I turned around thinking he had crashed......he sheared off the kickstand spring in a curve and his bike shut down. He was trying to ride that sucker with one hand holding up the kickstand LOL. We used a bungee cord to do a quick fix and kept riding. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
:eek:...........so you don't kill yourself............:joke:
Which begs the question: Why are there not more HD guys flipping themselves over in turns because they left the sidestand down? A couple of yearsa ago I rented a Heritage Custom while out of town for a weekend...it had no sidestand killswitch. At the time, I was told that they're all like that. Seems to me lots of bloated egos would end up pulling away from their favorite watering holes, and smearing their heads across pavement...:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts