M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running the bike to normal operating temperature then letting it set for about 10 minutes then going back to start it I get a hesitation then bam it starts. I just changed the battery (270 CCA) because I thought that might be the problem (3 years old). Any ideas????

Also can anyone explain to me how the electric fan operates. It seems to take along time to start then it cycles quickly. Is this the correct operation?

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
After running the bike to normal operating temperature then letting it set for about 10 minutes then going back to start it I get a hesitation then bam it starts. I just changed the battery (270 CCA) because I thought that might be the problem (3 years old). Any ideas????

Also can anyone explain to me how the electric fan operates. It seems to take along time to start then it cycles quickly. Is this the correct operation?
When you say a hesitation, like it just keeps cranking before firing up or an actual time laps before the starter engages?

As far as the fan goes, it comes on at a predetermined temp. So depending on the ambient temp and how long you have been riding will determine how long it takes to come on and cycle back off.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
It sounds like everyone else 9, After running for a while mine does the same, I hit the starter and it does half a crank, Like hydraulicing of a cylinder. I am told it is just the nature of the beast, Hot starter, whatever, I hit the button the second time and it always starts. As for my fan, when it is cool outside and i stay moving it never comes on, Now when we went ton Vegas a month or so ago in 103 temps, I don't think it ever shut off LOL. Nice and warm, it was.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say a hesitation, like it just keeps cranking before firing up or an actual time laps before the starter engages?

As far as the fan goes, it comes on at a predetermined temp. So depending on the ambient temp and how long you have been riding will determine how long it takes to come on and cycle back off.
It's just a second and then it starts without cranking. I know it sounds crazy but that's what happens.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like everyone else 9, After running for a while mine does the same, I hit the starter and it does half a crank, Like hydraulicing of a cylinder. I am told it is just the nature of the beast, Hot starter, whatever, I hit the button the second time and it always starts. As for my fan, when it is cool outside and i stay moving it never comes on, Now when we went ton Vegas a month or so ago in 103 temps, I don't think it ever shut off LOL. Nice and warm, it was.
Mine just started this a few weeks ago so I'm not sure I'm sold on it's the nature of the beast, are you? Has yours ever not started?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Mine just started this a few weeks ago so I'm not sure I'm sold on it's the nature of the beast, are you? Has yours ever not started?
Nope It always starts second try, and it doesn't do that all the time either. I mean it most times always starts first time. sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Well, I have to give mine just a little throttle as I crank and it vvrrooooommmmmmmm! I especially like doing that a the gas station when HD's are around. The heads will turn every time.
LOL I will try that next fillup. I have 8 1/2" holes in each muffler as of tonight. Sounds pretty good LOL

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me understand, You hit the start button and let go and then it starts sorta like on it own?
No I have to hold the start button down of course but all I get is a slow quarter turn then it starts (as if the battery has a low charge). I was also thinking that maybe the starter was getting hot from the motor and turning slow.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
It is the norm for the bike and absolutely nothing to worry about. I put an Odyssey battery in, which more then doubles the cold cranking amps. It fights through it a ton better, but I still have it happen occasionally. When it happens, just let off the starter button and hit it again.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
It is the norm for the bike and absolutely nothing to worry about. I put an Odyssey battery in, which more then doubles the cold cranking amps. It fights through it a ton better, but I still have it happen occasionally. When it happens, just let off the starter button and hit it again.
Exactlywhat mine does and what I thought, Thanks.......:agree:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
When does this issue arise? haven't had that happen yet

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Usually on hot starts. It will happen eventually.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
LOL thanks Harris, that's reassuring:cus:

You guys riding any this weekend?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
Mine does the same thing and has for the last couple years. It's like it bumps up against compression and can't turn it over, then you hit it again and it goes. I've found it works better to give it a little fuel too.

I know it's not compression as these have a built in compression release, so it has to be the starter getting hot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
im with them..........it happened to me as well.......thought oh :edit: what did i do!?!? found out its happened to others and it hasnt done it to me since!! i would say you have nothing to worry about:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the positive (and negative) feedback. I've not been stranded yet but I also don't want to be so I guess if a new starter is the the answer I may go that route. Still under the extended warranty so maybe Suzuki can fix this one. Again thanks for all the responses, this board is full of great people that are always willing to help.

Bill

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
Thanks for all the positive (and negative) feedback. I've not been stranded yet but I also don't want to be so I guess if a new starter is the the answer I may go that route. Still under the extended warranty so maybe Suzuki can fix this one. Again thanks for all the responses, this board is full of great people that are always willing to help.

Bill
Bill, you don't have a bad starter, they just get hot since they are mounted directly to the engine. It happens on cars with headers all the time if the starter is mounted close to them. The answer is to get a more powerful battery, or just get used to hitting the starter a second time once in a while.

Replacing the starter won't fix anything.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bill, you don't have a bad starter, they just get hot since they are mounted directly to the engine. It happens on cars with headers all the time if the starter is mounted close to them. The answer is to get a more powerful battery, or just get used to hitting the starter a second time once in a while.

Replacing the starter won't fix anything.
Thanks for the info, I just bought a new battery (270CCA) I'm not sure how much better this is than the factory battery but interstate claims this to be their heavy duty battery. I'll hold off on the starter and see what happens. Thanks again.

Bill

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have the same situation

I will be interested to see how you make out with a new battery. I have had the same problem. It's slight hestation when starting the bike when it's hot and it doesn't happen all the time. Bike always starts have never been stranded. The other options are to load test the battery and perform a starter draw test I'm not to concerned yet I think it is just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will be interested to see how you make out with a new battery. I have had the same problem. It's slight hestation when starting the bike when it's hot and it doesn't happen all the time. Bike always starts have never been stranded. The other options are to load test the battery and perform a starter draw test I'm not to concerned yet I think it is just the nature of the beast.
I think it's like Zoom said, starter getting hot and dragging some. I'm going to wait and see how things progress and if there are no changes I guess I'll have to buy into what allot of people are saying "It's just the nature of the beast". Stay tuned.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts