M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started cutting on the exhaust and it's a little scary at first. I'll keep the board posted occasioally as I go.
Jer

Got a piece of 3" exhaust about 6" long and cut it to weld on to collector.

Installed a 2 disc Car Chemistry pipe in expanded collector area.

Went with a 3" Stainless extension.

Fired it up and it sounds great.  Still working on heat shielding. Checking to see if I can get some dyno time somewhere. JR and Perry, I know this is different than you guys are doing it and I might have to change it later, but If you've got some ideas for maps that might get me in the ball park, I'd appreciate an IM.
Jer

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Starting on exhaust update

I'm trying guys. I hope I get it right. It seems a tad rich low end, but I'll keep playing. I'll keep info coming as I learn what I've got. Extension is held on with one bolt at collector area and an aluminum strap support on the rear so I can change course if need be. I got the 18" extension from Summit racing catalogue with a 1 day delivery time.Â
jer

·
Registered
2,172 Posts

Lookin good there. How about take several different profile shots outside in good lighting when your done. We all want to see your good job.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks JR. I'll PM you laster re: maps. I'm living in Michigan, but I'm looking more for a starting point than anything. Right now, I'm running PC111 with their stock 109 map. Also removed the air box again to get at the front pr valve plate to block them both off.
I may tweak my low range button down 1 notch before I trip tomorrow to see if a step leaner feels more responsive.
It's buttoned up again tonight and ready to ride tomorrow. Went into the stock ECU to remove the Black/Brown SET wire and the Electrics (dash) are working fine without the SET in play.
Removing this pile below, installing the new stuff and dump[ing the pair valve junk took off just over 32 pounds.

The pipes look killer, sound throaty and powefull, and as I said, We made going back in if we want to change anything an easy trip.

Jer

G

·
Jerbear, that pipe looks great. Good work. I especially like your air filter. Did you do a write up on it or anything?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Looks sweet now lets chrome the wheels... :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took the new pipes out for their maiden voyage (first trial run) today. In a phrase, with the PC111 with the stock map, Pair valve blockoff plates installed, and SET removed, It flat Sheets and Geets!!!
NO decel popping noted unless I tried to make it do so. The black 1800 X alongside my bike is my riding buddie's and runs great. We always serve as each others personal dynos whenever either of us makes a change in our ride and the difference today was real noticable. The pipes brought more power!!!  I didn't even notice the SET was gone with this setup and I wonder now why I even thought twice about removing it.
We got about 300 miles of this cool Michigan riding in today and came back after the sun was gone. It got considerably cooler.
The 109 was all good. I froze.
Jer

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Just brilliant Jer!..suits the bike..nice and compact..top job allround! Mine looks too bulky by comaprison. Toneout told me to check my ground clearance! ..... my pegs are well and truly scraping before the muffler touches..yours looks fine too. I'm hoping to get nice sports oval (in carbon)to slip onto my collector pipe and hope that will reduce the bulkiness! Can't wait to fire it up! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kicked it up just a tad when extending collector area to leave good ground clearance and narrow gap between pipe and other parts and pieces. Good luck on your mod. Can't wait to see pics.
Jer
rasputin said:
Just brilliant Jer!..suits the bike..nice and compact..top job allround! Mine looks too bulky by comaprison. Toneout told me to check my ground clearance! ..... my pegs are well and truly scraping before the muffler touches..yours looks fine too. I'm hoping to get nice sports oval (in carbon)to slip onto my collector pipe and hope that will reduce the bulkiness! Can't wait to fire it up! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see what LaMonster was talking about re: stainless yellowing. The longest chrome plated pipe I've been able to find so far to fit my 3" collector system has been 12", and I need at least 18" to 24" for style. This is an 18" extension 3" in and 3.5" out on the bike now. I guess I'll just keep looking. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to chrome something up.
Jer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.