M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few tanks of gas I've had my bike will stall when I slow down if there is less than half a tank left (by volume based on filling it back up, the digital gauge still reads at least 4/5 bars).

This occurs when I just back off the throttle quickly, when I brake or when I downshift.

Coincidentally (or not) the tank of gas immediately prior to this occurring was the only time I have ever put 89 octane in the bike...I only did it out of necessity, it was late at night and the only station open was out of premium.

If I'm going at highway speeds and this happens the bike will fire right back up once I've steadied my speed again (55 slowing down to 30, it will stall then come back once I'm steady at 30).

It is almost behaving as though the gas is sloshing in the tank and just getting away from the fuel pump but I don't know why this would happen suddenly.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
How many miles on it? Have you ever changed the fuel filter? I run 89 octane all the time with no issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has 24k miles on it, I bought it around 8k and haven't ever replaced the filter.

Not to disagree with the suggestion, just trying to learn, but if that is the problem why wouldn't it occur when the tank is full?

What is involved in replacing the filter? I'm not particularly handy but my friend is and he's usually willing to help if the job isn't too big.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
It is the fuel filter. Mine did this at around 10,000 miles, and is doing it again at 22,000 miles. Costly little bugger, it costed like $50.00 bucks in 2010. Probably cost $70.00 now. I'm going to try back flushing it and re-installing it, rather than pay suzuki the dough.

Typical signs of the filter being bad is bike won't take throttle well, and stalls frequently when idling.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The bike has 24k miles on it, I bought it around 8k and haven't ever replaced the filter.

Not to disagree with the suggestion, just trying to learn, but if that is the problem why wouldn't it occur when the tank is full?

What is involved in replacing the filter? I'm not particularly handy but my friend is and he's usually willing to help if the job isn't too big.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
It is the fuel filter. Mine did this at around 10,000 miles, and is doing it again at 22,000 miles. Costly little bugger, it costed like $50.00 bucks in 2010. Probably cost $70.00 now. I'm going to try back flushing it and re-installing it, rather than pay suzuki the dough.

Typical signs of the filter being bad is bike won't take throttle well, and stalls frequently when idling.
Current retail - $67.19

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't have any fuse going to the T r e 😰

1 - 8 of 8 Posts