M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. has anyone has had problem with stability at over 90 mph after installing the shield? It seems the shield kinda lifts the front of the bike . it is very noticeable after 100 mph. wonder if the other shields have the same problem?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
no problems with my v-stream at 140, I have it raised as high as possible and bent mounting brackets to improve wind protection and limit head buffeting

·
Registered
976 Posts
Another vote for the V - Stream. 100+ no worries .

·
Registered
655 Posts
Pynikal. what about that time you got caught in the wake of me blowing by you at 145. I was pretty sure that wind rushing by sped you up to at least 67 or so.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
No probs here. I have the zuk sport shield and the angle it is at forces the front down a little at high speeds, At least mine does............

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I know I have a problem.. Perhaps it may be since I only weight 170 lbs it affects the performance. anyway will try with the shielld off to see how it behaves...Also I put 260 in the rear and 160 in the front...could that also affect or not? it kind of wobbles lightly in the front after 90...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Stability?

You don't say what stability problem you're having at higher speeds, so I'm going to assume it's wobbling, weaving or vibrating. Adding a handlebar mounted windshield or fairing can make a previously existing problem worse. Common reasons are tire pressure, balance or tread wear (cupping) or seperating, either front or rear, wheel bearings, and my favorite, steering head bearing too loose. It may be all of these or something else.
I would start with free items, 42 psi tire pressure and steering head bearing adjustment. See if that helps.
If you tires have ever been run at too low a psi, they are probably cupped. Run you fingers over the tread in both directions, is one edge raised? Time to slow down or get new tires.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pynikal. what about that time you got caught in the wake of me blowing by you at 145. I was pretty sure that wind rushing by sped you up to at least 67 or so.
}
LOL. It probably speeded him up to 70mph and he had to brake

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
well I know I have a problem.. Perhaps it may be since I only weight 170 lbs it affects the performance. anyway will try with the shielld off to see how it behaves...Also I put 260 in the rear and 160 in the front...could that also affect or not? it kind of wobbles lightly in the front after 90...
sounds like a tire balance issue on the front, Have it checked again, or some here go with dyno beads instead....

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Thats a easy fix, IMO. Take it off!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Brilliant mechanical advise:bow::bow::joke::a20:
I'm glad I could help:bigthumbsup: Cause a windshield on a 9 is like, and unnatural sex act! But thats just me:dontknow:

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I weigh 165 pounds, and have had both the Suzuki Touring and Sport shield on at various times. Still have the Sport on to this day, and no problem with wobble, either from the shield or the Dunlop Elite III tires.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You don't say what stability problem you're having at higher speeds, so I'm going to assume it's wobbling, weaving or vibrating. Adding a handlebar mounted windshield or fairing can make a previously existing problem worse. Common reasons are tire pressure, balance or tread wear (cupping) or seperating, either front or rear, wheel bearings, and my favorite, steering head bearing too loose. It may be all of these or something else.
I would start with free items, 42 psi tire pressure and steering head bearing adjustment. See if that helps.
If you tires have ever been run at too low a psi, they are probably cupped. Run you fingers over the tread in both directions, is one edge raised? Time to slow down or get new tires.
Thank you sir!!!!! it is probably one of thoswe. Doubt is the tires since they are brand new 160. What kind of separating are youi talking about. Sorry but misunderstood that term...what would be separating??how do I tighten the steering head? remember my bikers technical english is not so good:joke:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts