M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came home from bike nite in medium rain. Granted roads were slick since no rain in a while, but, that fat wheel is a handfull going around corners. It slips quick but grabs well after slipping.
Guess it will just take some getting used to but how much does one ride in the rain around town?
Hate to drop this beauty on a wet night...or any other time!

G

·
We did about 200 miles in the rain last weekend. I didn't feel the bike slip once. Just wondering, what tire pressures are you running?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've ridden in pouring rain, light rain and drizzle and haven't noticed any slippage at all. By comparison, my old VStar 1100 used to skid even on dry so in rain it was like driving a car on ice. Now I was riding in pretty heavy traffic with speeds ranging from a few mph to about 70mph and the only problems I had was trying not to think about how cold and wet I was where my chaps didn't cover.

Perhaps your tire tread is low or you experienced unusual condition such as first rain within several weeks which created an oil slick on the surface.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
My bike hasn't seen rain...and it won't....if I can help it....I'm big on forcasts before I wheel my fast silver out the garage. :D

G

·
EAGLEFAN67 said:
My bike hasn't seen rain...and it won't....if I can help it....I'm big on forcasts before I wheel my fast silver out the garage. :D
Around here if you don't ride in the rain, You don't ride much :mad:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't ride mine in the rain, i just take it to the car wash for a bath every week. :joke: hit wet roads once, if they are heavy traffic areas yes its slick, you can feel the petroleum on the pavement when you put your feet down. Open highways, no problems. Just get the zero deductible.

·
Registered
92 Posts
we are talking florida roads here!!!! bout 140 deg all day then a lite sprinkle just enough to steam it up...makes the oil rise to the top and viola you got florida Ice :confused: got be on your toe's down here.....you could get a running start and slide half way across a wal-mart parking lot if you wanted!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went back to spot where I skidded and sure enough I skidded over a greas patch.
Got Metzler 880-240 now (after tire insurance bought it for me) and feel more confident.
I ride every day (3000 miles) so can't avoud rain.
Inly thing is I always get soaked since I don't (wont) have bags on this bike.
Bradbike

·
Registered
154 Posts
BradBike said:
Went back to spot where I skidded and sure enough I skidded over a greas patch.
Got Metzler 880-240 now (after tire insurance bought it for me) and feel more confident.
I ride every day (3000 miles) so can't avoud rain.
Inly thing is I always get soaked since I don't (wont) have bags on this bike.
Bradbike
A light wieght rainsuit folded up in a ziplock bag will fit between the risers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was driving to work on a beautiful Florida morning, and a few miles later the sky dropped out. I crossed the bridge and the wind was ballistic slowed down to like 30 mph the bridge had like an inch of water blowing across it and several times the bike hydroplaned sideways like a foot. pulled over into a gas station after the bridge and asked my wife if she was wet.Good thing she has a sense of humor. wondered why no cagers in mirrors,heck they all slowed down even more than me. Yeah that was definitely squirley.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah,here in Vegas its called 'Vegas Ice'.ITs been threatening to rain for days last week and sure enough,the day I go across town to see my son,it rained on me all the way then stopped when I arrived! A little slippery when it rains after a hot afternoon,but basically very sure footed.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I live in NE Pa. and visited NY on a 120 mile jaunt yesterday. A friend and I went to Hawks Nest. It's a scenic overlook from the top of a mountain overlooking the Delaware River on the Pa./NY boarder. On the way home we ran into some light rain just before we split up. Not ten minutes later I ran into heavy down pours. I could barely see and was slowing like all the other traffic. Without to much warning the A$$ end got a little squirrelly and I decided not to take any risks and got off the inter-state. Luckily I was able to make it to a overpass and pulled the bike in and dismounted. There had to be a half inch of water on the road surface and the semi's were throwing rooster tails as they were flying by. After 25/30 minutes the rain cleared and the road started to dry so off I went. I was really surprised about the rear moving all over. I just installed a new tire and only have 500 miles on it and I thought with fresh tread the bike would handle well in the rain. Guess with having that big A$$ tire I was wrong! In the future I'll tuck myself under the first overpass before the heavy stuff starts to fall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do one of you have the JSD mod done?? If so, that could explain alot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts