M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,526 Posts
Lube the two rubber donuts that the tank slides over with some silicone grease, that fixed the squeak mine had once in a while.

Also check under the tank where the tubes from the air box go under it. They sometimes rub there, mine does a little, but it doesn't squeak. If it is coming from there a piece of tape or something similar to shield the rubber from the tank should stop it. There is also a rubber coolant hose that the tank can rub against on one side, but it has a mesh cover over it that should stop the tank from wearing on it and making a squeak unless the mesh has worn through.

Also check and see if it's the speedometer cluster or the tank that is squeaking. The speedometer cluster has two pegs that fits into dowels at the front of the tank, and those could squeak too. Same fix as for the tank, and little silicone grease on them.

And finally, there is a metallic heat shield under the tank that could be rubbing against something. If just the edge of it touched I could see it squeaking too. :D

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,526 Posts
Will white lithium grease work here.

What specific silicone grease are you referencing?
Congrats on fixing the problem. :bigthumbsup:

Just in case someone finds this in a later search, the white lithium grease would probably work too. I use silicone dielectric grease because it's clear and won't deteriorate the rubber. I doubt the lithium grease would hurt it either, but being white it might show up some place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.