M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the Shooter windshield for about a week now, and I find it's really great... but for some weird reason, it doesn't seem to want to square up right.

I checked carefully, and the headlight nacelle perfectly aligns with the forks and triple tree, so I'm sure that's okay. But, when you attempt to square up the shield with the nacelle, the rods are not even in the clamps at all.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Re: Squaring Up the Shooter

Wanted,

I experienced the same thing at first, make sure your handle bar brackets are centered on the handle bars. Firmly tighten but not tight enough not to rotate the mounts forward or backwards, I also have the mounts high end (the pivot mounts the hole where the rods are inserted) facing towards the rider. Loosen the swivel windshield mounts, insert the rods in the bar mounts, loosely tighten; now adjust your shield behind the headlight bezel, adjust the shield height by adjusting your handle bar mounts forwards or backwards, now tighten. Depending on how you want the shield to lay adjust the swivel mounts and tighten. You might have to do some final tweaking but it should get you in the ball park.

C-One

·
Registered
752 Posts

Wanted said:
I have been using the Shooter windshield for about a week now, and I find it's really great... but for some weird reason, it doesn't seem to want to square up right.

I checked carefully, and the headlight nacelle perfectly aligns with the forks and triple tree, so I'm sure that's okay. But, when you attempt to square up the shield with the nacelle, the rods are not even in the clamps at all.

Has anyone else experienced this?
+1

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I tried all the stuff Cormierone suggested. I mean, this is not the first Memphis bar-mount windshield I've installed.

I can see from the pic that Lamont posted that those rods are about 1/2" or so off from each other. The left side is clamped a bit further up than the right, same as what I have.

My only conclusion is that the curve of the plastic is not centered. Kind of a shame, really.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Looks pretty even on the bars. It would be interesting to see if it's squared up with the nacelle underneath.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

ppridgen1 said:
never satisfied ,huh!
PP, What is your pproblem NOW?

PPlease stop hijacking everyone threads. Maybe go ask your wife for the keys to her bike and go somewhere.

·
Registered
346 Posts

lol. Hey wanted, I should have my shield in the next few days. I will istall it and see if I can help with this issue.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

pizzmor said:
lol. Hey wanted, I should have my shield in the next few days. I will istall it and see if I can help with this issue.
Cool. It's not too big a deal, just a little funny looking is all. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts

Looks awesome,
Just enough, not too much

·
Registered
752 Posts

I think that there is to much adjustability and that we will never get it perfect. I just line it up so it looks best from off the bike and figure it's okay.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE --

Okay... I went out this afternoon with the intention of seeing exactly what was causing the sheild to be cockeyed, and I figured it out.

The bars are square, the nacelle is aligned, the risers are straight, the shield hardware is good, and yes, the curve in the plastic is true.

The problem was in the stupid CLUTCH CABLE! :redfaced: The way it runs next to the riser, it wants to push the windsheild to one side while you are adjusting it. The way it runs, you CANNOT hold the sheild square and adjust it at the same time. :verymad: Once I temporarily tied it out of the way, it was very easy to square up the shield straight and true with the rest of the bike.

Now, what I'd like to do is to run the clutch cable / left wiring to the INSIDE of the left riser. That would definitely make removing/installing the shield that much easier in the future. Has anyone tried this, and if so, did it work? Is there enough slack here to run it in between the risers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts