M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my '9 in for its 4000mi service-- oil was changed and things were tightened, and all was good. Riding home, while traveling at a constant velocity, the speedo jumped between 70mph and 110mph. Needless to say I called the dealer when I got back to the house.

The service tech claimed to never have heard of such thing and started running down the list of parts to replace and service hours to that would be required. I insisted it had something to do w/ the 4000mi service, as there was no issue w/ the speedo before it was done.

I had the chance to do 20min worth of searching the forum before bringing it in today, and was happy to find that the speedo sensor sits in the engine case and is bathed in motor oil. It also appears to be the only magnetic part in the engine case... I made a few printouts and handed them to the tech. They pulled out some seriously large metal shavings stuck to the speedo sensor and 20min after riding in, I was on my way-- no charge.

Thanks M109Riders! Sharing your info and experiences saved me a bunch of time and money today!

On a similar note, are there a magnetic drain plugs for the M109? The size of the metal shavings scared me. While I am thankful for the magnetic speedo sensor, I would like to double/triple my insurance... I have been using magnetic drain plugs in my cars for years....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Magnetic drain plugs

Well, that shoots that theroy down-- I thought the metal flakes made it to the sensor because it was the only magnetic thing in there...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to read they took care of you at no cost. After all the horror stories we read here. It's good to see it came to good use for someone. Ride safe, Bro.
I would still be fighting the dealer like a kid in the schoolyard without the prior experience of the posters here. "Lemme get this straight-- changing the oil caused the speedo to start failing..." The service tech was already quoting parts and labor at me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.