M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I went for a 4 hr. ride today and noticed my speedo needle was jumping all over the place. It was bouncing back and forth reading 70 - 90 mph when I know I was only doing around 65 mph. It has never done that before and I guess I was wanting to know if there is a way to fix that or do I need to go the dealer and get another one? If so, would this be covered under the warranty? If you have had this problem, let me know what you did to resolve this issue. I noticed this problem after breaking 100 mph a few times today. My guess is I don't think anyone makes speedos that can handle the M109R power :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
it has been poted about five times....so far....it seems to be metal shavings on the speedo p/u and you should see it go away after changing your oil a few times! I posted it in early march. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

p.s. mines fine now! :bigthumbsup:
hmm, mine used to do that too, then it stopped, and hadnt done it since...and i did change the oil in between those times....but this is the first i've seen this mentioned...good to know.

tc

·
Registered
450 Posts
It happened to me.. I rode for 2 hours continuous w/ no stops in the direct sunlight when it started jumping. Stopped for gas and it never happened again. I think it was the heat from the sun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know where the speedo pick up is at on the bike? I imagine it is on the front wheel, but I don't want to start pullin stuff off that isn't the correct location of it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I just bought mine a week ago and noticed my needle doing that a couple of times. I was going to take it in and have it checked out, but if everyone has had it and it goes away: I will just ride my bike instead of letting it sit at the shop!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amen to that. No way, I am going to take it here to my dealer...those people are a bunch of scams anyway. On a second note, I'll just go ahead and keep ridin :bigthumbsup: Thanks for all the imput guys!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
it is not on the front wheel, since the intro of electronic speedo drive they use a type of magnetic pickup sensor usually off the sprocket area on chain drive bikes and off transmission gear teeth on harley's but I think the shaft drive bikes pickup is around the output shaft which would be the same area as where a sprocket would be on chain drive. pprigden1 is right a little metal shavings would screw it up so that it would not pulse between teeth like it is supposed to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts