M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 M109R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedo jumps the full range seemingly at random, even when the bike is off. The odometer and fuel gauge are backlit, but not displaying.

I've been having the same problem for the last year or so. It started fairly intermittently, but has gotten more and more consistent.

And before you say it, I did the "clean the speedo sensor and change the oil" trick, to no avail. More than once. Checked all over for bad / broken wires, and bad connections, but can't find anything that acts like the culprit. Wiggling, inspecting, unplugging, cleaning, replugging, etc. No joy.
I've seen some pretty old threads, but was there ever a real fix or explanation for this?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,609 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This problem doesn't happen often, and not usually affecting that many items. Usually it's the speedometer jumping and the fix is what you've already done. Just a few months ago one of the older members was having a similar problem and his fix was to replace the speedometer cluster. He found one on ebay fairly cheap. In fact I think one sold on here just a few weeks ago.

There's only two connectors that can cause that, and I'm not sure one of them would. The 4 pin connector under the rear of the tank supplies power to the fuel pump, and maybe gets the input for the fuel gauge. Then you have the large connector under the front of the tank that for sure works the speedometer and odometer. The most common thing to happen to those connectors, especially the 4 pin under the tank, is a pin or pins get shoved out when you push them together. You have to look close, or test them with a meter, to see if that's happening.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,992 Posts
This is the wire pushed out from the under the tank connector.
It can happen from either half of the connector.
Welcome to the forum, Cheers!... 🍻

·
Registered
2007 M109R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for all the help. I went thru every wire on each side of the connector, and the internal pins. Everything looks fine and snug. Before I take everything apart and track wires looking for breaks or kinks, is it possible that a faulty speedo unit (are we talking about the magnetic sending unit, or the whole display board up top?) could somehow cause the odometer and clock to not display? that seems... odd, to me. So what I'm thinking is possible faulty speedo, most likely broken / shorting wire somewhere down the line. Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive design Audio equipment Car Cable Electrical wiring
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Gauge Motor vehicle

Also, I forgot to add that the 4-pin in the rear of the tank seems fine as well.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,609 Posts
We're talking about the speedo cluster, not the sending unit. It's all one unit and it seems when it goes bad, for whatever reason, all the components in the cluster get whacky.

·
Registered
2007 M109R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, seems to be a pretty common fail. On a lighter note, I found a chewed-up wire underneath the front connector, and patching it seems to have solved it... for now. I honestly have no idea if it's even related, but I fixed something, and she's not throwing a fit at the moment.

·
Registered
2007 M109R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Nope, was not in fact related, just matched up with the glitch in a valiant effort to avert further procedures. Starting to look like a replacement speedometer might be the solution, although it really acts like it's just a bad connection somewhere, and I hate to replace it just for a loose wire or a bad solder.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It acts just like a bad connection mine would work one minute then start playing up i even tried it on a friends bike and it worked put it back on mine it worked for about 15 minuets then stopped again . Had it checked by a car electrician and he couldn't fault it. 😖 but it has worked ever since replacement.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If all else fails you can get one of these. I bought this one from Amazon or Ebay and it's more accurate than the OEM speedometer. No trip odometer though. Just an odometer. It is reading 21 mph because the photo was taken in the garage with no satellite signal. The antenna is on the front brake reservoir cover. Can be place almost anywhere because the cable is quite long. It's easier to see that looking down at the tank, except when the sun is behind you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts