M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had something new come up on this last trip.
While cruising at a steady speed, anywhere from 30 to 75, the speedo would start acting up, bouncing from your actual speed to as high as 135. Would be cool to take pics of but not if you want to actually know how fast your going.
I was thinking it was maybe a magnetic pickup and got some trash in the pickup but I don't really know.
Has anyone else had this happen and what caused it?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Magnetic speedo pickup is exactly right. Under secondary drive cover next to ignition key. Just pull it out and wipe off the debris.

-Josh

·
Registered
448 Posts
Magnetic speedo pickup is exactly right. Under secondary drive cover next to ignition key. Just pull it out and wipe off the debris.

-Josh
I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have this issue as well. I notice in the morning that the speedo works well half way until I get half way to work which is 15 minutes or so. It starts acting up after that doing as you mentioned. When I head home it acts up immediately. I think that the metal particulate in the oil doesn't get picked up in the sensor head until the oil gets warm. I would suggest to leave the key on (engine not running) in order to keep the magnetic field on and hold the metal to the sensor head. I checked my sensor today while it was cold and didn't see any metal flakes at all. I will do what I am suggesting tomorrow after work in order to get all the metal off of the sensor. FYI, you will want to lean the bike to the right to prevent the oil from flowing out of the hole where the speed sensor was.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
anybody have a pic of where this is located ?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

With the secondary cover off, this is what you'll see. The little black square thing with the 3 wires on it, and the single bolt underneath, that's the speedometer pick-up sensor. Remove the bolt, pull it out, wipe it off, and reinstall it.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
gottattooz thanks for the pic! cajundog get your road paved! To much Fl. sand!:joke::joke::joke:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gottattooz thanks for the pic! cajundog get your road paved! To much Fl. sand!:joke::joke::joke:
Ha Ha, your probably right! It seemed to clear up the last part of my trip, I'll wait for it to screw up again before tearing into it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
I may be wrong, (it would be the first time) but the sensor you pull out is the magnet. I had to pull mine at about 6000 miles and the dealer didn't have a clue, had to get info here from Fattass. I am thinking that is gear oil from the diff, and maybe the metal particles are from the rear gears? What do you guys think? :doorag:
Nah, that drive gets it's lube from the engine side. I've had mine off and it's engine oil in it, not differential lube. Plus there is a seal on the output side to hold the oil in it. You might see it mentioned once in a while that someone has an oil leak from that seal.

You also have the u-joint, drive shaft, another oil seal, bearing, and a couple shims or spacers between that unit and the final drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts