M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member. Previously rode a C50. What a difference! However, like the C50 I noticed that the M109R seemed to have significant speedometer error. I checked it by strapping on my aviation GPS, Garmin 396, and found that it reads high by more than 7%, averaging speeds from 30 to 70 mph. On my C50, I remedied the problem with a device called a speedohealer with excellent results (www.speedohealer.com). Ordered one for the M109 and discovered that the plug-n-play wiring harness that fits other Boulevards, does not fit the connectors on the M109. I contacted the company vie email and sent some photos of the triangular connectors used on the M109. They replied back and sent me a new wiring harness. Installation was simple and easy, no modifications required. I programmed in the correcting 7% offset and took the bike out for another GPS calibration to confirm the correct results. It works perfect. Besides indicating the correct speed, this has the additional benefit of NOT racking up the miles on my odometer faster than actual, preserving my warranty mileage and probably future resale value.

I high recommend the product and the company.

I also am enjoying this web site.

Jonathan Sisk

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Thanks for the link. If it weren't for the added mileage, i wouldn't want one.... since the error means I'm not really going as fast as i think I am... and thus less likely to get a ticket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DaltonH said:
Milage for the warranty??? What warranty did you get? Mine is unlimited milage x 3 years.

Good info on the speedohealer btw, do you you have the part # for the 109 harness adapter?
The SpeedoHealer with Suzuki-II harness fits the M190R. Manufacturer says it will be available in about 1 week.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Thanks for the link. If it weren't for the added mileage, i wouldn't want one.... since the error means I'm not really going as fast as i think I am... and thus less likely to get a ticket.Â
Yeah, I kind of think the same way...I consider it insurance...LOL

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,143 Posts
I thought these were off. Normal traffic on the 2 lane from work runs around 65 mph, but I'm going 70 and just keeping up.

Guess it's another add on I need. ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Why doesn't the factory (Suzuki) install a reliable speedodometer from the begging??? To me, that's not putting a good product on the market.
This question is beaten to death on all the bike forums.
Suzuki and all the other manufacturers calibrate their speedo's to cover their a**
If the speedo was correct and you got a speeding ticket, how many would try and sue Suzuki for 'defective' speedos
So they re-calibrate them by upto 10% error (the legal maximum here in the UK) so at 70mph you are only doing an actual 63mph.
I don't have any problems with inaccurate speedos. I use my GPS if I want to know exactly how fast I am going :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
But the odometer should not be racking up excess miles due to warranty problems. Honda have recently been sued and they lost so must cover lot of warranty claims that were charged on over mileage cars that were not over mileage after all. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Normsthename said:
This question is beaten to death on all the bike forums.
Suzuki and all the other manufacturers calibrate their speedo's to cover their a**
If the speedo was correct and you got a speeding ticket, how many would try and sue Suzuki for 'defective' speedos
So they re-calibrate them by upto 10% error (the legal maximum here in the UK) so at 70mph you are only doing an actual 63mph.
I don't have any problems with inaccurate speedos. I use my GPS if I want to know exactly how fast I am going :bigthumbsup:
That is exactly what my dealer told me. I had them call Suzuki and they said "up to 10% error is added on purpose to make me think I am going faster than I really am, for legal reasons". They didn't elaborate on what those issues were. I can only assume it's liability issues. It used to concern me, but i don't pay much attention to it now. The math comes pretty easy now... :bigthumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts