M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys ever checked into the accuracy of the speedo on this bike. I have thought for a while now that if seems to read on the high side. When ever I am crusing in traffic on 55mph roads my speedo is reading 70mph when I am going with the flow and I don't feel like I am going fast at all (not that 70 is fast). Also, today I was driving out of my town where the speed limit is 25 and I came upon a cop with his rador gun pointed straight at me, I look down and the speedo says 45mph. I thought for sure had a ticket coming my way but he never even blinked. Am I just lucky or is this speedo way off?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm sure it's not all that accurate but only by 5-10MPH off...My Volusia was pretty much the same way...Speedo would say 85 but the GPS would say 73...

·
Registered
686 Posts
do a search of the site. There are several threads related to speedo accuracy. However, I haven't yet been able to figure out if it is a percentage off (incorrect gear ratio or calibration) or a certain number of miles off (usually incorrect placement of numbers on speedo dial).

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yup, what rideutah said.

One of my next 3 major purchases (well, major to me....bike's almost where I want it) will be a GPS unit to mount on the handlebars. Then, I'll start using IT as a guide to my actual speed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Lamont was running GPS on his recent trip - and I don't think it was all at 55 mph. ;)

On our trip, I was also running GPS, I noticed that the differences were greater at higher speeds (or so it seemed) - not a flat line difference. My Avalanche was pretty flat though - about 4%.

On the M, (sorry, this is metric), 130 was actually about 124. My friend's Kawy 16 was closer to the M as well. (If I was 130, he was 128).

At lower speeds, it didn't differ as much (I think?) but then again, I wasn't looking at the GPS closely or travelling at lower speeds too much.

When doing 140, I was getting a reading about 133

When doing more *cough* 213 *cough* - it was too hard to look at the GPS digital readout. :doorag:

110 is about 67 mph
120 is about 74.5 mph
130 is about 81 mph

160 is about 99.5 mph

213 is about 133 mph (bit quick with 60 lbs of gear in the bags):eek:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've noticed the same thing.

I was out on a stretch of highway the other day and cruising along at 55 and was being passed like I was standing still. Keep in mind, this is a piece of road that is heavely patrolled by the local police so I was trying to be on my best behavior, but I was shocked to have to kick it up to 70 just to keep up with the flow.

Kind of throws you off a bit.

G

·
Jay109 said:
Have any of you guys ever checked into the accuracy of the speedo on this bike. I have thought for a while now that if seems to read on the high side. When ever I am crusing in traffic on 55mph roads my speedo is reading 70mph when I am going with the flow and I don't feel like I am going fast at all (not that 70 is fast). Also, today I was driving out of my town where the speed limit is 25 and I came upon a cop with his rador gun pointed straight at me, I look down and the speedo says 45mph. I thought for sure had a ticket coming my way but he never even blinked. Am I just lucky or is this speedo way off?
I've had a ton of bikes and all sucked and read incorrectly. If Harley can do it standard, I don't know why the rice bikes can't but oh well. .... maybe thats why they cost so much

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,

I just got my M109R LE last week. I mounted a GPS unit on it first thing, and I quickly noticed the discrepancy between the GPS speed and the speedometer readout. After testing it quite a bit, I got to the conclusion that my speedometer is showing about 10% higher speeds than actual speeds. I talked to the dealer and they said they use a speed sensor for the speedometer, so in other words they are "calculating" the speed vs actually measuring it. I asked if it could be calibrated and they said they didn't know, but would ask Suzuki. According to the service guys, typically speedometers are about 4% off and that's considered "normal".

Just my 2 cents,

Kevlar

·
Registered
246 Posts
So, if the speedo is off on MPH does that also affect the actual miles ridden, meaning is the odometer reading more miles that actually ridden??? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Most say,& it appears to me,the odometer IS accurrate.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
I've checked mine with my GPS unit several times, and it's off about 8%. 60 mph indicated is actually 55 mph, 80 mph is actually 74, etc. It's a percentage, not a set amount.

I figure it helps keep me out of trouble. :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Jay109 said:
I put a speedo healer on my bike a few weeks back and calibrated it to my GPS. It showed fast by 7.5%. This was across the board......off 7.5% at 30MPH, 60MPH and at 80MPH.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Speedohealer.com is the way to go. It might look nice to see the higher speeds when tooling down the highway, but it's also calculating your mileage to be higher than it really is. My `06Busa was about 8% off in speed, that also gave me about 1.5 tenths of a mile extra for every mile traveled. I traded the bike with around 3700 miles on the odometer when the bike really only had about 3400 miles on it. It might not sound like much, but it can affect the resale value down the road. Just my
.02 cents worth!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
HPM109 said:
I put a speedo healer on my bike a few weeks back and calibrated it to my GPS. It showed fast by 7.5%. This was across the board......off 7.5% at 30MPH, 60MPH and at 80MPH.
:agree: :agree: :agree:

My dealer called Suzuki Headquarters (at my request to find out why the speedo is off) and they stated that each bike is calibrated 7% high from the factory. They want you to think you are going faster than you are for safety reasons..

cheers...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't think the ODO is off. I have owned a few Suzuki’s and all of them had a 8-10% error, but after making the same 100 mile + trips with a car and the bike they are almost identical. Honda got in trouble a few years back on their cars. The intentionally made the speedo read like 2mph low, but didn’t account for the ODO. In the end they ended up extending the warranties on the cars that were off. Accurate odometer are very important especially in warranty situations. I realize it doesn’t apply to bikes, but still..

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
By law, the most an odometer can be off is 3.75%. There isn't a regulation on speedometers, but most are within 10%.

Since the odometer is a gear driven device on most motor vehicles, the error is a lot less than the speedometer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts