M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been posted numerous times on this site that the speedo is reading 5 to 10 mph higher then the bike is actually moving. With that said doesn't it stand to reason that our milage readings are also off adding un-needed miles to the odometer? Which will give us false gas mileage and a lower resales value for those who plan on moving on to another ride??? Just a thought not sure if it is accurate but would like the more experienced riders who are more mechanically inclined to chime in.

G

·
Latinrascal said:
It has been posted numerous times on this site that the speedo is reading 5 to 10 mph higher then the bike is actually moving. With that said doesn't it stand to reason that our milage readings are also off adding un-needed miles to the odometer? Which will give us false gas mileage and a lower resales value for those who plan on moving on to another ride??? Just a thought not sure if it is accurate but would like the more experienced riders who are more mechanically inclined to chime in.
you are worrying too much, all bikes aside from most harleys are like that. OK, I should say my personal experience is that ricers as well as an aprilia I had all read wrong. I remember going on a 350 mile trip and my gps definitely had me going less miles than my odometer gave me but big deal, not a big amount and thats that.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really worried about it as i plan on getting buried with my 109 when i pass 80 years from now, however at a 350 mile ride i would say the increase would be insignificant but at lets say 10,000 or 20,000 miles and a 10 mile overage on the reading i would say that could add up!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Latinrascal said:
It has been posted numerous times on this site that the speedo is reading 5 to 10 mph higher then the bike is actually moving. With that said doesn't it stand to reason that our milage readings are also off adding un-needed miles to the odometer? Which will give us false gas mileage and a lower resales value for those who plan on moving on to another ride??? Just a thought not sure if it is accurate but would like the more experienced riders who are more mechanically inclined to chime in.
The amount off your odometer is would depend on how fast you go, since it is a percentage that the speedo is off by. But for example if you travelled 30000 miles at exactly 60 mph by GPS, assuming the speedo reads 64.258 there you odo would be about 2000 miles off. Excuse the rough calcs. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't think I ever really bother with how many miles I have on her... I just go riding...

If I've done 300 or 400... all the same to me...

My grin is on, either way :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Breaker said:
The amount off your odometer is would depend on how fast you go, since it is a percentage that the speedo is off by. But for example if you travelled 30000 miles at exactly 60 mph by GPS, assuming the speedo reads 64.258 there you odo would be about 2000 miles off. Excuse the rough calcs. :bigthumbsup:
percentage equals the same result in the end 6-8% is 6-8%.

so when i have 10,000 miles its actually 9200-9400 actual. doesn't matter how fast i drive

·
Registered
127 Posts
jamiesM109R said:
percentage equals the same result in the end 6-8% is 6-8%.

so when i have 10,000 miles its actually 9200-9400 actual. doesn't matter how fast i drive
7% off at 30 mph = 32.1 mph on the speedo
7% off at 70 mph = 74.9 mph on the speedo

And odo calculates from that reading. :bigthumbsup:

-I'm DL Math Geek I admit it :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Breaker said:
7% off at 30 mph = 32.1 mph on the speedo
7% off at 70 mph = 74.9 mph on the speedo

And odo calculates from that reading. :bigthumbsup:

-I'm DL Math Geek I admit it :)
You may be a math geek, but your theory is flawed. 7% is 7%, true enough. However, people (including myself) claim that the amount the speedometer is off directly proportional to the current speed. Same with the odometer. Thus, it's not 7% across the board, but rather a lower amount initially that increases as speed increases.

So, for an example:
1% off at 15 mph on speedo, you'd actually be travelling 14.85 mph. Not really a noticeable difference.
3% off at 45 mph on speedo, you'd actually be travelling 29.1 mph. Still not really noticeable.
6% off at 60 mph on speedo, you'd actually be travelling 56.4 mph. Here it's starting to become evident.
9% off at 75 mph on speedo, you'd actually be travelling 68.25 mph. Definitely evident.
12% off at 90 mph on speedo, you'd actually be travelling 79.2 mph. Even more evident.

Now, to put those numbers on the odometer.
1% off at 15 mph for 1000 miles = 990 miles.
3% off at 45 mph for 1000 miles = 970 miles.
6% off at 60 mph for 1000 miles = 940 miles.
9% off at 75 mph for 1000 miles = 910 miles.
12% off at 90 mph for 1000 miles = 880 miles.

Now can you understand what we're saying?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
JRs DAD said:
Hey, Bonehead.....I went to Vincennes University for a while !
No kidding :eek: .............. cool :bigthumbsup: , its still there LOL just bigger. Its one of the few thing this podunk towns got going for it ::)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hey Bone Head, I live over in L'ville! I'd like to check out your bike some time. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
wildwolf said:

I used the constant % as an example, to show the different mph diference. Assuming the numbers above are correct, consider the following.Â
If Breaker and wildwolf take a 2000 mile road trip.
But wildwolf decides to take backroads for the first 1000 by his odo and travel @ 45 mph, then gets on the highway for the second 1000 @ 60 on his speedo.Â
Breaker takes the highway the whole way @ 60 on his speedo.

When we stop at 2000 on our odometers Breaker only traveled 1880 (2x940)miles while wildwolf has travelled 1910 (970+940) miles.

So to restate, the amount your odometer is off would depend on how fast you travel (on a regular basis).
Your odometer will be off more if you travel more at high speed because it is off more at that end, some one who just sputters around town won't be off as much.

·
Registered
450 Posts
wildwolf said:
You may be a math geek, but your theory is flawed. 7% is 7%, true enough. However, people (including myself) claim that the amount the speedometer is off directly proportional to the current speed. Same with the odometer. Thus, it's not 7% across the board, but rather a lower amount initially that increases as speed increases.

So, for an example:
1% off at 15 mph on speedo, you'd actually be travelling 14.85 mph. Not really a noticeable difference.
3% off at 45 mph on speedo, you'd actually be travelling 29.1 mph. Still not really noticeable.
6% off at 60 mph on speedo, you'd actually be travelling 56.4 mph. Here it's starting to become evident.
9% off at 75 mph on speedo, you'd actually be travelling 68.25 mph. Definitely evident.
12% off at 90 mph on speedo, you'd actually be travelling 79.2 mph. Even more evident.

Abosolutely not. if we are 7% off sure your gonna notice it at higher speeds. the same 7% at lower speeds isn't gonna be that noticeable. if i drove 200 miles at 3o mph and you drove 200 miles at 75 mph, i bet we end up with the same odometer reading. Now i'm gonna take a hammer at my gas tank and get it customized so i don't have to discuss this anymore. I assume........nevermind i'm done.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Ron S said:
Hey Bone Head, I live over in L'ville! I'd like to check out your bike some time. :D
:bigthumbsup: :doorag:.................. Just let me know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.