M109 Rider Forums banner

Speedo puked at 1800 miles

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  DHandyman 
#1 ·
My speedometer went wild today while I was out riding.  I tried restarting the bike a couple of times to see if it might reset and no such luck.
Fortunately, the speedo isn't one of those essential sort of parts.  I'll share my frustration with my dealer when I get over that way, maybe Monday.
As I remember someone else having a similar issue, this may be one of those quirks some owners will have to tend to.
I'll let the board know the results.
Jerbear

#6 ·
I hadn't used a car wash, or got caught in the rain. Possibly a heat problem. It was hot the day mine went bad, and I'd just put on about 300 miles. That might explain why an overnight rest gave it a chance to come back. I told my dealer about it and he filed the info but thought we should wait to see if it happens again before we start replacing things.
Jer

#9 ·
Mine recovered after a day's rest. I told my dealer to notify Suzuki so it would be on record in case enough people have the same issue and they need to figure out what's happening.
Mine went bonkers at 1800, and then the next day decided to work again and I'm around 3500 miles now. I'll keep my fingers crossed it got it out of it's system.
Jer

#10 ·
Macpilot said:
I have wanted to replace this speedo with something nicer looking. Does anybody make a mod for the speedo?

I was thinking of something like a black lettering on a white face..
I too would like something nicer looking. The speedo face is the only thing on the bike I dont like. Looks to boring on such a bold bike.

#11 ·
Had the same problem at 3000 miles, went to the dealer. He asked me if I had some time, I said yes. He took the chrome cover off the left side of the bike. Underneath the cover is the speedometer pick up that is magnetic.He removed the pick up from the housing and low and behold out came a piece of metal shaving stuck to the end of the magnetic pick up, Put it all back together which took about 10 min, Took her for a spin, No more eratic speedometer!!!

#12 ·
ebackus1 said:
Had the same problem at 3000 miles, went to the dealer. He asked me if I had some time, I said yes. He took the chrome cover off the left side of the bike. Underneath the cover is the speedometer pick up that is magnetic.He removed the pick up from the housing and low and behold out came a piece of metal shaving stuck to the end of the magnetic pick up, Put it all back together which took about 10 min, Took her for a spin, No more eratic speedometer!!!
Very interesting.....

ppridgen1 said:
the original posting was mine and it did it only for a couple of minutes then dissappeared,dealer hadn't a clue ....but that was in march during bike week daytona.suzy america said no reports yet besides me and the logged it in
And oh ya.... My dealer also said there were no other reports of this. (Per Suzy)

#15 ·
ebackus1 said:
Hey check him out! First post on the board was actually a fix found for something and not a "Hey I'm here"! PROPS my man!

and

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.