M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 109 on Tuesday...so now its broken in @ 500miles. I went out with GPS to get some speed in gear #s just for info. At the limiter they are 1rst...50.6, 2nd...74.5, 3rd...103, 4th 127, and 5th...well I didnt have time to try it but I'm sure it probably will flatten out near the peak HP rpm so if there is no limiter that should be around 135mph actual. I'm going to try tonight so I'l let you peeps know if there is a limiter and what ACTUAL top speed is from my jail cell(hope the have internet). BTW I saw 110mph in another post for the quarter mile...thats exactly what I'm getting(GPS) on my secret strip!Like several members here I'm coming off a Busa so its kinda fun to do testing on a bike that isnt quite so scary...just don't let your feet slip off those forward pegs....mine almost did at 125mph. The wind seems to want to rip your feet off at that speed :eek:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
cool! thanks for taking the time to do all that!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe most of the actual evidence from tuners/builders/racers points to proper breakin needing to have HIGH combustion pressures in the first 20-50 miles if you want your rings to seat properly. Many break in their motors on a dyno by properly bringing the bike up to FULL operating temp, then proceed with about three pulls at 75% throttle and rpm: let cool for a few minutes ,then three full throttle/full rpm pulls to the redline. Thats it ,the rings are beaded in. You can now drive it as you wish. I now do a similar proceedure on the street for all my bikes and have had no problems. The manufacturers recomendations are there, I believe, more for liability issues and to allow the rider a learning curve with the bike.Also older design motors were more prone to seisure issues then modern ones. There are several on line sites where you can look at before and after teardowns comparing motors using this method to the old "baby it" method...look for yourself you might rethink the breakin process. Just my 2 cents. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
ckouze said:
I believe most of the actual evidence from tuners/builders/racers points to proper breakin needing to have HIGH combustion pressures in the first 20-50 miles if you want your rings to seat properly. Many break in their motors on a dyno by properly bringing the bike up to FULL operating temp, then proceed with about three pulls at 75% throttle and rpm: let cool for a few minutes ,then three full throttle/full rpm pulls to the redline. Thats it ,the rings are beaded in. You can now drive it as you wish. I now do a similar proceedure on the street for all my bikes and have had no problems. The manufacturers recomendations are there, I believe, more for liability issues and to allow the rider a learning curve with the bike.Also older design motors were more prone to seisure issues then modern ones. There are several on line sites where you can look at before and after teardowns comparing motors using this method to the old "baby it" method...look for yourself you might rethink the breakin process. Just my 2 cents. :bigthumbsup:
Agreed
Breakin is a throw back to when things like your small block v8 were designed with thick walls so the parts could "mate" and there would still be plenty of strength left. People always quote computers with making engines run longer. They do, its just not the ECM. It's the computer controlling the machines that build the parts.
heat+pressure = seated correctly. I ran mine up to redline and all the way down again in every gear every day in the first few hundred miles.

Sledzep

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last night I hit the limiter in first while shifting into second and let me tell you if you are still on the throttle and it comes back to life YOU BETTER HANG ON! It about sucked me off the back. The limiter only shut it down for a second and then comes back to life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts