M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the mod done for the rls/bottlefed/pep boys special air kit and I'm wondering.... how do you remove the air filter to clean or oil? Maybe you don't remove it.. I dunno. But since I'm a geek and I'm on beer 4 I thought I would ask the experts before I did something stupid again.

I appreciate your help, live long and prosper.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just loosen the clamp that holds the filter body on the angled pipe and remove it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
These filters are dry, no oil. I will be changing these to K&N filters down the road. Either the RR-3003 or the RC-4650 ones. I really like the Spectre ones for looks , but do believe the K&N will be better.
To answer your question, I would just take them off and blow them out from the inside if needed. I do not think there is much else you can do other than replace them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gotcha, i saw where zep posted the kit but I remembered scratchin my head trying to think how to clean and oil since they seem to be made into one piece.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Buy the oil
Remove the entire filter metal and oil from your set up and spray them. It wont hurs the metal. Wipe dry when done.
If you bought a "system" like the big air.... you could wash/oil the filter only. If you buy ANY of the other custom/universal K&N filters
the chrome parts or whatever are bonded on there and you would do it the same as these

The Spectre filters are supposed to be oiled... but they dont really say that anywhere...

Sledzep

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
RLS said:
These filters are dry, no oil. I will be changing these to K&N filters down the road. Either the RR-3003 or the RC-4650 ones. I really like the Spectre ones for looks , but do believe the K&N will be better.
To answer your question, I would just take them off and blow them out from the inside if needed. I do not think there is much else you can do other than replace them.
The Spectres I have are not Dry... they come "Pre-oiled" and Auto-Zone sells the Oil kit specifically for them.

Just loosen the hose clamp that holds the filter to your angled pipe and slide it off. Take a garden hose and spray from inside the filter to clean all the junk out. Let it set long enough to dry (I did over night) then re-oil it.

Pretty easy... I just did mine before heading to the dyno.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just got an e-mail from Spectre today about these filters. Here is what they say:

all of our cotton fiber filters come pre oiled. so no worries on that for you. our filters are great they are capable of flowing up 865cfm. so dont worry you have great filters. when you go to clean them yo clean the just the same way as any cotton fiber filter. we do have our own cleaning kit and the part number for that is 4820.
Hope this clears things up some, Bob :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow mine look dry as old bones and so did the others on the shelf. I have a K&N recharger kit and I would think I could just use this instead of buying another. but cool deal, thanks for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts