M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work in progress attempt at adding a subwoofer to the rear cowl and still debating where to mount 2x 6.5in speakers ideally in the front

Initial rough idea for back placement

Router compass is a recess mounting must

Fabric and fiberglass resin to seal bottom of enclosure

Original plan to hold sub...

But decided to remove all excess material to maximize enclosure size.

Realized I sealed the tab in the cowl that attached to the rear latch :rolleyes:

The bucktooth expression it gave me mocked my error :LOL:. Made a raised chamber for the latch and sealed it again

I'll have a part 2 for more pics!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is there going to be enough volume for that speaker to work properly? This is what it took to get this 12 to hit hard in my friends Harley Ultra Classic...........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats always the fun of it I guess. I'm not sure but the specs seems to line up as it is only an 8inch. It is a marine speaker that has an open air spec listed so I'm hoping any box is already an improvement. I'm sure it's not going to be the hardest hitting thing out there but my hope is the box doubling as a back rest and sitting on top of the back lip of the front seat will transfer enough.

BTW did you use a FG Weave or Mesh for yours? I feel like I see weave in there :unsure:. It came out great! Hope your friend is happy

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used weaved glass. Five layers on the bottom and 4 on all the sides. I did it in two parts, using the lid and bottom as molds, then set the top part down into the bottom. The seam between the two got a little thick filling in the gaps, but it is solid. I haven't worked with fiberglass in a couple of decades, so i was very pleased with the outcome. I also did 300+ RGB LED's. It is quite impressive all in all, Pioneer DVD player, Rockford Fosgate amp, 100 X 4, 600 X 1, 4 Polk Audio 6.5 coax, 2 Polk Audio 5.25, and that 12" Rockford slim mount sub.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize now I should just consolidate all these into just one thread but I can't figure out how to delete previous threads I've started in entirety. Oh well moving on...

Didn't have pic of sealing that section but worked out ok

Rough idea of angle and theory crafting on how to mount. I think the angle of the Sub lines up nicely with the tail light angle

Decided to change the design and add an area to put padding for a small backrest.

Got some other parts in and decided to run the wiring for bluetooth receiver and completely mount the amp with 40amp circuit breaker. SO MUCH FUN MOUNTING THE AMP o_O

It is under the seat outside of the battery compartment. Not sure where else to put it without a front fairing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Latest update for molding process

Defining the shape is a very detailed process depending on how intricate your angles are and this one is complicated by my own design.

First coat of just resin on 1 half

Some of the weird angles I was referring to. This flat and squared off section was the design choice to have a level area on the top and back sides to attach some kind of padding for a backrest or maybe some small storage who knows.

One full coat of resin and it's time to expose the mounting by cutting off excess fabric. Still kept the supports in until I could put actual fiberglass weave on.

Two coats of resin and weave later and she's looking sexy and ugly at the same time :LOL:. I'm loving the way its coming out but the resin is messy and uneven at this stage. Everything fit correctly and supported the weight of the sub. The concave shape adds some structural support as well.

That's it for now! I now get to have a little fun and attach it to the bike and go ride around and see how it feels. Also need to do a lot of riding and see if the weave will hold and not get any stress fractures. No point in sanding and painting it yet if I have to repair it. Wish me luck!

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,887 Posts
Just wondering, why do you have it facing backwards? The people behind you don't want to hear it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just wondering, why do you have it facing backwards? The people behind you don't want to hear it.
Lol yes I suppose it looks like that but being a subwoofer it's more about the vibrations it's putting into the box/bike. When I install the low pass frequency crossover it will eliminate high frequency sounds like most instruments/vocals. You really won't be hearing it as much as feeling it. I'm willing to bet most people's exhaust on here are louder than anything this will put out and I'm sure most of them don't want to hear that either :p

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,653 Posts
LOL,
I was wondering the same, but before I asked if he thinks he will
gain 0,001 HP by speaker vibes, I waited... explanation arrived.. 🍻

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,887 Posts
Lol yes I suppose it looks like that but being a subwoofer it's more about the vibrations it's putting into the box/bike. When I install the low pass frequency crossover it will eliminate high frequency sounds like most instruments/vocals. You really won't be hearing it as much as feeling it. I'm willing to bet most people's exhaust on here are louder than anything this will put out and I'm sure most of them don't want to hear that either :p
I was thinking more about cagers, homeowners, and pedestrians. However, if it is about the vibrations it will put into the bike, I would still think one would want it facing them, so those same vibrations will go directly into their body.
I prefer Bluetooth speakers in my helmet. I can listen to anything without offending or disturbing anyone else.

Just my $0.02. Differences are what make life interesting. You do you, and enjoy! (y)
Cheers!

·
Registered
133 Posts
The system that I put on my friends Ultra Classic, from a distance it is crazy loud and the bass is bottomless. On the bike, you can't even hear the bass. I read somewhere in the way past that for your years to hear a sound you have to be at least the distance of one quarter wavelength to hear it. So , 30 hz has a wavelength of 37.5 feet, so a quarter of that is about 9 feet. In a car it is a little different because you are in an enclosed space and sound pressure changes things a bit. But open air, 9 feet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts