M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the owners manual and it says we have to change the spark plugs at 7500 miles. This seems very early to me, does any one know why?

·
Registered
936 Posts
i read on an other board a person changed theirs at earlier milage and they said it ran like a bran new bike. I've got 8000 miles and need to change mine.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Its well worth the time it takes to do it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Im just going by the book on this one and it has made a diffrance.

·
Registered
721 Posts
cbxer55 said:
#1 Your warranty will not be voided if you do your own maintenance. My dealer told me that!
#2 You dont have to be a "certified mechanic" to change your oil. That is all the 600 mile service is!
#3 You dont have to be a "certified mechanic" to change spark plugs, never have, never will.
#4 I have never heard of any vehicle that requires spark plugs be changed at 7500 miles. WTF??

My 1981 Honda CBX is carburated and runs pretty doggone rich. I change them at 15,000 to 20,000.
Even then they are still good. The color of the insulator does not tell you anything. You have to
look further down at the base of the insulator, that is the "mixture ring". A white insulator would
tell me your engine is running lean as it should. I would have put them back in myself. probably the only reason for the 7500 mile change is so Suzuki can sell a lot of expensive spark plugs.

Robert Hill
Midwest City, OK.
"#2 You dont have to be a "certified mechanic" to change your oil. That is all the 600 mile service is!" :eek: :yikes:

The 600 mile service is MUCH more than that... I suggest you check it out

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can't really compare V-Twins to Inlines. They are very different creatures. Just check the plugs at the reccomended mileage. Personally after I take all the time to pull the plugs I just stuff new ones in there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I haven't seen a dealer yet that actually checks the valves on a 500/600 mile service. I would put some paint on the bolts where it isn't obvious just to be sure. I have caught 2 separate dealerships so far saying they did and actually did not. They usually have a good excuse and refund the charges for that part of the service. You can also ask for a copy of the specs for each valve. That tends to send them backpedaling as well. Most of the 600 mile services are expensive oil changes with an external once over of the bike.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I wonder if there are any suzuki dealer owners on this site.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
cbxer55, I feel the same way you just cant get a better job then doing it yourself. And thank for the invite, lol it would be great to head out your way on the m, hopefully no service needed.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I already have the shims ready for the 14.5k valve clearance check/adjust. I do my ZRX 1100 all the time and they use the same shims. 8 ain't so bad after doing 16 but a service manual will be needed to get the cams in and out properly if a shim needs changing. The ding dongs at the dealership I bought mine from did not even know what kind of valve adjustment it had, they swore it had self adjusting hydraulic lifters! :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts