M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Im installing CR8EIX NGK's right. Out of the box their like .027, am I good like that? I don't really have a good way to close them up .001ish. Gonna cut a notch at the end of a screw driver for a tool.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I am pretty sure the service manual specs between .026 - .028 (I will look in minute to confirm)
So at .027 you are dead in the middle of spec.

Cant really wrap my head around what you where planning to do with the notched screwdriver though.
Should not need anything other than a set of feeler gauges or a round gapping tool.
If you want to close the gap a bit, just easily tap the end of the ground strap against the frame of the bike to close it up a bit, then gap it back to the spec you want.

BCS

·
Registered
721 Posts
Definitely check new ones out of the box. They can be off, particularly if the box or the plug was dropped.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Well I see what the OP was doing with the notched screwdriver now. :)

This youtube vid is a good example to clear up some of some the difference of opinion being given.

Lots of people believe lots of things, but the bottom line is that your plugs should be gapped to spec and all 4 plugs need to be gapped the same. If they are not then you will need to re-gap them to bring them all into the same spec....no matter what the electrode is made of. You just have to be very careful when gapping iridium plugs so you do not break the electrode since it is very thin.

BCS

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I see what the OP was doing with the notched screwdriver now. :)

This youtube vid is a good example to clear up some of some the difference of opinion being given.

Lot so people believe lots of things, but the bottom line is that your plugs should be gapped to spec and all 4 plugs need to be gapped the same. If they are not then you will need to re-gap them to bring them all into the same spec....no matter what the electrode is made of. You just have to be very careful when gapping iridium plugs so you do not break the electrode since it is very thin.

BCS
Thanks BCS, I gaped them all to .026 and my ghetto gaper worked out good! Went smooth until I went to put the cap on the last plug🤦🏼 Yeah of course the front one that’s a pain in the ass to get to. I left the tip on the plug so cap wouldn’t fit🤬😩 so had to pull it to get the tip off. Note to self, next time remove all those before I gap. I still want to send you my ecu. Think I’m all done with mods. My power pro black has to go!

·
Registered
219 Posts
You should always check the gap on new plugs and make sure is the correct , exact gap for all .
As for the type of plugs , I have read somewhere that some people have had problems with the Iridium type , so , I myself have a replacement set of the original plugs stored in my drawer , which I will install in the future .
I have 7200 miles on my 2013 bike , so I think that the plugs have still a long way to go before replacement , but just in case, I already got them .

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,049 Posts
I have 7200 miles on my 2013 bike , so I think that the plugs have still a long way to go before replacement , but just in case, I already got them .
I had around 7500 miles on my first set, which I think is the interval they recommend changing them at. They still looked new. I now have over 39000 on it on the second set and it still starts and runs fine. I think you're probably good for a while. :)

Two of the plug gap feelers I have, they have that notched gap setting tool on them. They both have a wide slot and a narrow slot for different types of plugs. I find it easier to use that than to try to tap them "just a little" to close them up. I don't know if Iridium plugs are like Platinum plugs or not, but the platinum have that small dot of platinum welded to the ground electrode on the plugs I've used. It can be broken off by being too rough adjusting the gap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts