M109 Riders banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a new M109r BOSS. Only has 3700 miles on it. ill have to do a spark plug change this next year. just wondering if everyone uses the stock plugs. I've had good luck with NGK. does anyone run the iridium? think the part# is CR8EIX(for the ngk anyway). already upgraded the exhaust with the freedom 2into1 turnout setup. gonna upgrade the intake to the cycle house q5 and have the ecu flashed. just wondering if these mods will require a different plug. any input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
357 Posts
Interested in the answers for this as well...

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
i have a new M109r BOSS. Only has 3700 miles on it. ill have to do a spark plug change this next year. just wondering if everyone uses the stock plugs. I've had good luck with NGK. does anyone run the iridium? think the part# is CR8EIX(for the ngk anyway). already upgraded the exhaust with the freedom 2into1 turnout setup. gonna upgrade the intake to the cycle house q5 and have the ecu flashed. just wondering if these mods will require a different plug. any input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
I highly recommend sticking with stock/OEM NGK Spark Plugs. They are perfect for the M109R, whereas many members here have had a ton of problems with their 9s, after having switched to the Iridium CR8EIX Spark Plugs. All of those members immediately went back to the OEM NGK Plugs, and haven't reported any problems since. Nevertheless, there has been a small handful of members here who had no issues after installing the Iridium CR8EIX Plugs. However, I wouldn't take the risk of finding out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks guys
I highly recommend sticking with stock/OEM NGK Spark Plugs. They are perfect for the M109R, whereas many members here have had a ton of problems with their 9s, after having switched to the Iridium CR8EIX Spark Plugs. All of those members immediately went back to the OEM NGK Plugs, and haven't reported any problems since. Nevertheless, there has been a small handful of members here who had no issues after installing the Iridium CR8EIX Plugs. However, I wouldn't take the risk of finding out.
i kinda had a sneaking suspicion that would be the case. guess I'll stick with stock ones unless i run into problems. gonna check em often after i upgrade the intake and get the ecu flashed.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I am one of the guys who run NGK Iridium plugs in my bikes and have been using them for many years without any issue.

Can't speak for others experiences but I personally do not see how using an iridium plug could cause any problem.
If your vehicle comes from factory with iridium plugs then it is recommended you do not use anything less, but I have never seen anything that implies there is any problem upgrading to iridium plugs from copper or platinum plugs. (other than a handful of guys saying this on social media and their stories being repeated a thousand times by others) :p

Google it and read the difference between the plug types for yourself, there is tons of information on the subject out there.

Honestly no matter which type of plug you choose it is going to work fine as long as it is a quality plug. You are more likely to have a problem due to installing the plug or wire incorrectly than due the material the electrode is made of.
Stick with the "8" heat range designation unless there is an obvious reason to change from that.

BCS

https://www.ngk.com/ngk-spark-plug-metal-types

https://www.championautoparts.com/P...air-and-maintenance/Spark-Plug-Materials.html

·
Registered
647 Posts
BCS,
Long time no see. We are still in KY and not sure when we will be returning to FL.

I wonder why you use iridium plugs. To get better fuel mileage, more power, longer lasting, better running engine, etc.? I've heard both pro and con about using them?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BCS: thanks for the info. appreciate it.
ill be sending my ecu your way for a full flash here pretty soon.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
BCS,
Long time no see. We are still in KY and not sure when we will be returning to FL.

I wonder why you use iridium plugs. To get better fuel mileage, more power, longer lasting, better running engine, etc.? I've heard both pro and con about using them?
Hello Mike,

I can't say there is any noticeable difference between one type of plug or another, our bikes are not huge HP so any plug in the correct heat range is going to work just fine.

I am an electrician, when I compared conductive properties of the thin wire iridium plugs to the standard nickel plated copper plugs the iridium win hands down and that pretty much convince me to start using them.
I also find it easier to read the single strap compared to the dual strap of the OEM plugs.

Watching this storm tonight to see what it is going to do.
May have to start building barricades and sandbagging in the morning.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Thanks guys
Is there a reason you are changing the plugs at that mileage?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks guys
Is there a reason you are changing the plugs at that mileage?
well i just meant ill need to do it next season some time. not now. but it's turned winter here(i live in Montana). so I'm thinking of what i could be doin to the bike while it's not being ridden. i mentioned i was upgrading the intake and getting an ecu flash. wasn't sure but what those mods might require a new plug. but it sounds like the oem ngks are the way to go.

·
Registered
547 Posts
well i just meant ill need to do it next season some time. not now. but it's turned winter here(i live in Montana). so I'm thinking of what i could be doin to the bike while it's not being ridden. i mentioned i was upgrading the intake and getting an ecu flash. wasn't sure but what those mods might require a new plug. but it sounds like the oem ngks are the way to go.
I have the original plugs with 38,000 Km 23,612 Miles and they seem to work ok. Have a look at you manual and see when the recommended replacement is. I'm one of those guys that thinks, if it ain't broke don't fix it. :D You usually can't go wrong with OEM parts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the original plugs with 38,000 Km 23,612 Miles and they seem to work ok. Have a look at you manual and see when the recommended replacement is. I'm one of those guys that thinks, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
You usually can't go wrong with OEM parts.
dont have the manual in front of me but i think it's 4500miles...which does seem soon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahhh. 7500 miles. i knew there was a 5 in there. yeah 4500 seemed a little too often.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just hit 10K yesterday what is the EXACT OMG NGK plug we are to use???

STOCK SEEMS TO BE A CR8EK ? rynosback stated he went colder CR9EK's

So what the difference say in a NGK CR7EIX IRIDIUM (7385) Vs. NGK CR8EIX Iridium (4218)

I am not very Spark plug savvy! LOL

·
Registered
357 Posts

Thanks guys
FOUND THIS THREAD TOO!
https://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140877

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use the iridium plugs. Went to stock plugs last change cuz they were cheaper big mistake. Bike did not run well and was running very rich. Switch back to iridium and runs smooth now and not rich should add that I have spike intake and debaffelled the exhaust. Also run xtre and cobra fuel processor.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I have been running the NGK Iridium's for years in my 07 as well. No issues here. The reason I switched way back when was I got tired or taking my front fairing off because it was a PITA. And now with a 1 piece fairing even a bigger PITA. My intent was to extend the change intervals between plug changes. I have had the last set in for 25+K miles and haven't had an issue. I do have another set going in this winter when I'll be changing all the fluids out.

As far as going from 8's to 9', it pertains to the heat range of the plug. I say whatever you decide on stock NGK's or the Iridium's stick with the 8's and see how the bike runs. I have Tornado intakes, dragster exhaust and a BCS flashed ECU and haven't had any issues or thoughts on running a different temp plug.

·
Registered
357 Posts
So I have a 2008 R2, what is the EXACT OMG NGK plug we are to use???

So what the difference say in a NGK CR7EIX IRIDIUM (7385) Vs. NGK CR8EIX Iridium (4218)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
So I have a 2008 R2, what is the EXACT OMG NGK plug we are to use???

I am pretty Sparky :doorag: so I take a swing at it.
The stock plug that comes OEM with the bike is NGK CR8EK just as you said above.
The CR9EK plug will also work but it is a cooler heat range.

CR7EXI & CR8EXI are both iridium plugs.
The CR7EXI is hotter heat range plug than the CR8EXI
The lower the number the hotter the plug is, the higher the number the cooler the plug is.

Personally I would not run a hotter plug than the OEM heat range unless you had a specific reason to do so, such as you find the standard "8" heat range plug fouling due to an extremely rich AFR.
Even then I would personally address the problem by tuning the AFR instead of going to a hotter plug. Going to a hotter plug can can cause pre-ignition problems if you are not careful.
The heat range of the spark plugs used in our bikes was engineered for the bike by Suzuki already, there is really no reason to deviate from that.
I have used a cooler heat range plug (9) in my M109's at times when the standard 8 heat range was not available.
For all practical purposes the standard 8 heat range plug is what you want to run in your M109R, no matter if you run the OEM plug or you run iridium plugs.

Also I think you are running our ECU tune (I may be wrong about that though) our ECU tunes are built using NGK CR8EXI iridium spark plugs and running 93 octane pump gas.

BCS

1 - 20 of 21 Posts