M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was raining today so I plucked up the courage to cut some bike plastic!

Only things I did different to Spankster was the area of the cut and the whole tacho went in not just the top half.My reason was to deflect any moisture getting down between the light cowl and the tach well clear of everything and to keep the cut gap to a minimum to prevent any ambient light shining up around the tach at night. (also so I didn't lose the back cover!..probably more to the point!)
I left the brake union 'floating' and chucked the light metal bracket (it is well supported and has no load on it) and rerouted the brake hose to the side of the riser (straighter line and looks tidier and will give room for a little more hose movement if risers are extended later.
Photo has a large reflection at the cut edge, but in fact it is pretty snug and follows the scribing of the tach housing.
4.5mm neoprene is around the top of the tach to stop any moisture going down, any chaffing, or light from the back of the headlight . Seal is perfect!

I'm very happy with the look of the mod..really cleans up the H/Bar area.
Visibility of the tach is perfect and the original mounting plate can now be used to mount something else?...I may hang a Cruisader R/D display down there below the risers!

Concerns?....The tacho face plate is now at the same angle as the speedo and can pond water (a bit) and might encourage fogging???
And.... in some sunlight angles it may be quite reflective (like the speedo lens)...but I'm pleased it is done, I always thought the tacho looked like an after-thought up there on the risers!

Thanks to Spankster for inspiring the mod! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice job, looks real good as do those air cleaners. :bigthumbsup: how long does this mod take? Did you find any aspect to be harder than expected? I'm debating whether to try this or not, Have a great day. :D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Nice, clean mod on the Tach! Your backer plates and filters are great. What material are the backer plates made of??

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dog man said:
Nice job, looks real good as do those air cleaners. :bigthumbsup: how long does this mod take? Did you find any aspect to be harder than expected? I'm debating whether to try this or not, Have a great day. :D
Thanks..hardest part is working out where to start cutting.....
1. If you start with a 'centred' 6.5" cut in the top (you will probably want more than this but it is easy to widen with a file) and then scribe the rest out you should be off to a quick start..snug past the two top pop-centre fasteners..you can see from the photo where I cut the bottom. Take 'less' and file open to a tidy fit.
2. Put the rubbers in the mounting points for the headlight shroud and grease the spigots..(it takes a bit of time to locate these and the grease helps them pop in and not load against the rubber.
3. I ground down the back of a hacksaw blade (to about a third depth) to do the cuts around the curve. You will need new bolts for the tapped holes as the original bolts are only partially threaded and too long. The new bolts can be 'shimmed' to the mounting grommet width with a bit of plastic tubing if nothing else is available..just to centre them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bob109 said:
Nice, clean mod on the Tach! Your backer plates and filters are great. What material are the backer plates made of??
Hi Bob,
3mm sheet Ali...some photo's on page 5 of this board!..cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
rasputin said:
Thanks..hardest part is working out where to start cutting.....
1. If you start with a 'centred' 6.5" cut in the top (you will probably want more than this but it is easy to widen with a file) and then scribe the rest out you should be off to a quick start..snug past the two top pop-centre fasteners..you can see from the photo where I cut the bottom. Take 'less' and file open to a tidy fit.
2. Put the rubbers in the mounting points for the headlight shroud and grease the spigots..(it takes a bit of time to locate these and the grease helps them pop in and not load against the rubber.
3. I ground down the back of a hacksaw blade (to about a third depth) to do the cuts around the curve. You will need new bolts for the tapped holes as the original bolts are only partially threaded and too long. The new bolts can be 'shimmed' to the mounting grommet width with a bit of plastic tubing if nothing else is available..just to centre them.

Good luck!
Does the wind feel much different? can you tell how much the tach was deflecting before you moved it??

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
rasputin said:
Hi Bob,
3mm sheet Ali...some photo's on page 5 of this board!..cheers,
Greg
Thanks for the reply Greg! Your workman-ship is first class! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Looks like your doing more good work down there. Nice job! :bigthumbsup:

Let us know if it changes how much wind you get and where it hits you now?

·
Registered
600 Posts
G

·
That looks awesome... cheap mod that changes the look of the bike completely... That's one of the mods I am lrally looking forward to do...

Could you PM me the list of the materials you used?
:read: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
M109R Fan said:
That looks awesome... cheap mod that changes the look of the bike completely... That's one of the mods I am lrally looking forward to do...

Could you PM me the list of the materials you used?
:read: :bigthumbsup:
done :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trouble_Is said:
Very clean work :bigthumbsup: Here's a link to RLS' modification of the angle of the speedometer face if you're having a tough time seeing the speedo sometimes (and if it's still raining and you are bored :edit: less): http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=4564.msg61242#msg61242
Thanks 'Trouble'...I did see that RLS mod sometime ago but had forgotten it..if the sun comes out here again, I may be reminded to revisit that solution! :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like this mod! I am just curious if you can post a couple pics from farther away, a side view and a front view maybe from 5 or so feet away? I am trying to get a feel of the overall look before I start cutting plastic! :D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BIGD... said:
I like this mod! I am just curious if you can post a couple pics from farther away, a side view and a front view maybe from 5 or so feet away? I am trying to get a feel of the overall look before I start cutting plastic! :D
Have a shot from the side..have been cleaning up the front..will start on the rear number plate and indicators next! Exhaust mod about to start soon!
cheers,
Greg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts