M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added a power AMP to there Sound of Crome Speakers, They come with a built-in 50 watt amp, , however it will not push the speakers so they are not loud enough to hear with my Corba pipes talking back to me. I was told that it would distort the clearness. Help someone!!!!!!! :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have not used that brand, but have added an amp to similar speakers. Not only were they less clear, but the blew out in about an hour.

·
Registered
448 Posts
hey get with Sooner 109 on here he has a really good system that he got for like 200 or so but talk to him

·
Registered
602 Posts
Audio nerd & professional here...

Be VERY careful adding power to a speaker. It generally offers very little benefit, and will probably blow out your speakers.

Without going into all the science (which I could, but don't feel like typing it out) you literally have to DOUBLE the power going to a speaker to increase it's output by 3 dB-SPL.

To put that in context - and getting to why it's probably not worth it, an "untrained" human ear will only perceive that +3dB caused the sound to "change", not necessarily get louder. at 6dB change, you'll actually be able to perceive that the sound got louder... but that's 4x the power.

Contrary to popular belief, most of the ability for a speaker to be "loud" has to do with it's sensitivity, NOT the amount of power you push through it. (in truth, it's a combination of those two things, but sensitivity will have much more to do with it...)

On top of that, a speaker that's only designed to handle 50watts is going to get REALLY unhappy if you send it 100 for any period of time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts