M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Newbie M109 owner here:
There's so much new and old info on the forums about different tires & combinations etc I'm a little confused.
I dont like the std Dunlop Sportmax tires on my 2014 BOSS (3k miles).
I dont mind replacing tires more often for good quality tires & predictable roll in & grip.
Thinking of running a 250 rear and 140/150/160 front. (I believe the 140+ sizes may help eliminate some of the 'fall over' turn in feeling... but I may be wrong).
I like rounded profiles that turn in more linear than fall in or resist turning all the way.
Prefer they work well than just look good.

Can I get a few responses on sets (front & rear) of tires people are currently happy with on stock rims.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
712 Posts
I run Metzeler, standard size (130/240). They have consistently gotten me 14000+ miles on the ME880XXL (back) and more on the ME880 (front). On my third set currently.

Sent from Tod's Note 4

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I am on my second set of Dunlop Elite III's, 2550 rear 130 front. Never noticed any falling in feeling when cornering. Maybe the stock tires did, don't remember, it's been too long. I'll be putting a new rear on mine soon, front is still fine. I generally get around 10,000 from these tires, if I'm constantly making sure tire pressure is at 42 psi. Haven't been too good about that on this current set, and it's looking like I'm only going to get 7,000 from the rear this time.

I will keep using Dunlop Elite III's, until the are no longer available. And keeping the front tire at 130 size, as I think fat front tires are fugly. YMMV!

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
With 250/130 combo mine fell into turns badly. With 250/160 that is almost non-existent. So much better all around. I think the 150 would probably have similar results. That 160 on the stock rim is pinched pretty good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Anyone else suggest brand & size that works for them in the corners?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any other soft rubber combos people are very happy with the grip and linea roll in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just put a 250 dunlop e3 on my rear and that made a significant difference for me, she just lays into the turns better now. The front is still stock for now but I'll most likely be going to a 150 up front when it is worn down more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
After much reading on here I popped for the Metzeler 880 260 rear and 160 front. Best thing I ever did. Handles much better, turns fine, doesn't follow tar bleeds, handles great in the wet, feels firmer and more stable all round. It did make a bit more skatey on a gravel road, but I don't do much of those. No mods to fender, all is good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
RIDING ON RAILS

8)
ive had my 109 for about 2 years now and i will say that the 130/240 makes it a bit difficult for me to ride on curves. I put 160/260 metzler's on my bike and im carve some awesome curves! HMU if you have any questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After much reading on here I popped for the Metzeler 880 260 rear and 160 front. Best thing I ever did. Handles much better, turns fine, doesn't follow tar bleeds, handles great in the wet, feels firmer and more stable all round. It did make a bit more skatey on a gravel road, but I don't do much of those. No mods to fender, all is good.
totally agree with you! it rides much better!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ran Metz 260 for grip, then Dunny Elite III. 260 Metz and 250 Dunlop were the same width. Both way better feel than stock because of the consistent rounded profile. Only got 500km out of the Metz though, so can't speak for longevity. (ran over a bolt and blew the belt). Elite III 130 up front. Good handling. Michelin Commander II 240 on the VRod was a great tire too. Now I run Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 240/45/17 and 120/70/17 on the XDiavel. Those babies have grip!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all. Replaced with 250 & 130 elite 3. Huge improvement. Makes the bike completely manageable after those squared off oem tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts