M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after some trials and tribulations with my airbox, I got everything reinstalled with the new Power Commander. One reason I decided to take the airbox off (see this post for details on airbox removal and re-installation) http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3836.0 was I thought it would give me a much better view of the antifreeze/coolant hose running between the two cylinders - which it did. My bike showed no signs of leaking antifreeze so I didn't try to tighten them. They looked good. I did touch the clamps to see that they didn't slide any or weren't loose. They didn't appear to be. So I left them be and went along with my Power Commander install.

Finished the Power Commander install and got the bike all back together. I never messed with the cooling hose between the cylinders except to feel to see if the clamp connectors were tight, which they appeared to be.

Guess what? The Power Commanders on and the bike cranked right up. I ran it while sitting on it for about a minute, then shut it down and got off. When I looked down at the left side of the bike I had antifreeze running out. Not just a dribble, but a nice little stream going.

Arrggghhhh!

Anybody got any clever suggestions? I'm not much up for pulling the airbox again. And I don't see how you can get to the inner cooling hose to tighten the clamps without pulling the airbox. Don't see how you could tighten them (or replace them, I hear the clamp is too large to tighten all the way down) with the airbox on. You can hardly get to the hose with the airbox off.

I'm feeling a lot like taking the bike to the dealer in the morning and saying .... fix the hose and recheck the coolant level!!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
No other way that I know bro. It just goes to show you that if you had not touched the hose, it probably would not be leaking now. It most certainly would leaked later though & could have been at an a remote site. :mad:

Look at the silver lining, your practiced now at removing/replacing the side air box/cleaners and your at home where you have all your tools, electricty, lights & BEER!
:p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuck said:
No other way that I know bro. It just goes to show you that if you had not touched the hose, it probably would not be leaking now. It most certainly would leaked later though & could have been at an a remote site. :mad:

Look at the silver lining, your practiced now at removing/replacing the side air box/cleaners and your at home where you have all your tools, electricty, lights & BEER!
:p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
"your practiced now at removing/replacing the side air box/cleaners" I don't see a way in heck that you could tighten or replace both clamps by just removing the side airbox/cleaners. The right most clamp maybe, but the left clamp where the hose is running laterally across the bike you can't get to or even see without the top central airbox off. If anyone know the clever way of doing this then please sing out. My hands are just too fat to get in there.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Thats why I've only tighten 1 of the clamps so far :redfaced: , where it goes in the jug (which was the side it was leaking on) was the only one I tightened by taking off the aircleaners.........used a ignition wrench to tighten it ,15/64ths if I remember right.

The other end of it will get tightened when I have to take the airbox off the next time :bigthumbsup: , because there no way to get to it the clamp (aleast on mine).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts