M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I had an opportunity to meet with Secretary LaHood. For those of you who don't know he is the Department of Transportation Secretary. You probably know his big passion is distracted driving. I'm part of a research/focusing group looking at a component of the distracted driving platform, texting while driving (or cell phone use). Anyway, to make a long story short, we may be able to get some money to increase the awareness.

My question is twofold; would any of you be interested in participating? And do any of you have any ideas for slogans you don't mind sharing to increase public awareness?

If we can get funded for what we think will be t-shirts, bumper stickers, key chains..blah blah blah. Would any of you be interested in wearing them? An example would be if we can get the T-shirts then we will pitch that cyclist groups would wear them while riding to boost awareness - and that's where you guys would come in.

Now some of the phrases we pitched to the Secretary were:

(1) "Save Lives - Don't Text and Drive"

(2) "If you can read this, don't text "

(3) "OMG…DTWD (Don't Text While Driving)"

(4) "Distracted Driving - Kick the Habit"

So let me know what you think. If you have some better ideas you are willing to share post them up. The idea here is to increase awareness, get some funding so groups like ours can market the awareness either on T-shirts or bumper stickers or something like that. This is in its infancy so you ideas would be helpful. Besides the Secretary we have two more potential sponsors who may help us financially.

You should know if you post some ideas, we will use them so if you looking to make money or something don't post them, we need things we can use, the most I can promise is recognition will be yours and maybe a nice comfy t-shirt with your idea on the back

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I'd definitely wear one of those T-shirts.....ESPECIALLY while riding on two wheels.:bigthumbsup:

Good job, bro! :doorag:

·
Registered
665 Posts
'Text And Drive' Not included in God's 7 Days Creations.

'Text And Drive'
Not included in God's 7 Days Creations.

·
Registered
665 Posts
'Don't Be Hard On Yourself On Judgement Day'
.'Don't text And Drive'.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd definitely wear one of those T-shirts.....ESPECIALLY while riding on two wheels.:bigthumbsup:

Good job, bro! :doorag:
Thanks! I hope we can get some participation. I plan to copy this thread to show the sponsors our interest.

'Text And Drive' Not included in God's 7 Days Creations.

'Text And Drive'
Not included in God's 7 Days Creations.
:bigthumbsup: Thanks

'Don't Be Hard On Yourself On Judgement Day'
.'Don't text And Drive'.
:bigthumbsup: Thanks

·
Registered
665 Posts
'Love Others As God Loves You'
'Don't text And drive'

·
Registered
665 Posts
This is more for us riders to be wearing.

'Loud Pipes Saves Life'
'Text and Drive Ruin Life'

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to put down any beliefs but these shirts will be religion free to start with. I suppose if somebody wants to add that to their shirt they are free to do so on their on...

Some riders might not want it on their shirt.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Not to put down any beliefs but these shirts will be religion free to start with. I suppose if somebody wants to add that to their shirt they are free to do so on their on...

Some riders might not want it on their shirt.
Not to worry, I am non-believer.

·
Registered
599 Posts
How 'bout a pic of a cell phone, then a "+" symbol, with a pic of a car or a steering wheel,, then an "=" sign with a pic of a hearse or some other symbol of death. Then underneath "You text, You drive, You die!" There are over a dozen variances of this idea that could be used.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How 'bout a pic of a cell phone, then a "+" symbol, with a pic of a car or a steering wheel,, then an "=" sign with a pic of a hearse or some other symbol of death. Then underneath "You text, You drive, You die!" There are over a dozen variances of this idea that could be used.
Nice I like that

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Can I ask why the focus on Texting while driving rather than distracted driving in general? Just curious.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This actually needs to be a national don't text while driving awareness campaign -- and not just for bikers' benefit...but all drivers and pedestrians. But since this one is biker-friendly..

- Bikers die when you text and drive
- Bikers everywhere thank you; for not texting while driving
- Don't be a fool; be cool; don't text while driving
- 4 wheels vs. 2 wheels; who loses? Please don't text while driving.
- 4,000 lb car vs. 500 lb bike; who loses? Please don't text while driving.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can I ask why the focus on Texting while driving rather than distracted driving in general? Just curious.
Well the secretary's whole platform is distracted driving (phone, make up, eating) but this program I'm in is only 9 months and about 4 of those months can be dedicated to this focus group. So we made a team decision to tackle a small but what we thought was important piece, texting while driving. Our end goal is to drill down even further and narrow it to Teeny drivers even though this should be focused on all drivers. Teeny statistically our the ones that are more "likely" to text and drive

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This actually needs to be a national don't text while driving awareness campaign -- and not just for bikers' benefit...but all drivers and pedestrians. But since this one is biker-friendly..

- Bikers die when you text and drive
- Bikers everywhere thank you; for not texting while driving
- Don't be a fool; be cool; don't text while driving
- 4 wheels vs. 2 wheels; who loses? Please don't text while driving.
- 4,000 lb car vs. 500 lb bike; who loses? Please don't text while driving.
Sorry I wasn't clear. This is national and not just for bikers. Since I am a biker, I put it out here for all of us that share this passion. I chose cyclist because another team member of this program is an avid bicycle rider. But I didn't want to limit our ideas because even if some of these ideas I get here are narrowly tailored to the biker community that is fine, during our process we can finagle the language to include all persons that can be affected by someone texting while driving

1 - 20 of 29 Posts