M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Something is wrong with my throttle or Acceleration?! Please help...

So I rode to work today just fine and on my way home I noticed my bike wasnt accelerating like it normally does. I crank the throttle all the way and it doesnt go like it used to. It picks up really slow...not sure what it is. Or I'll crank the throttle it wont go, then suddenly it starts to SLOWLY pick up speed. I didnt pass anyone on the interstate today because I didnt know how the acceleration was going to react. So not really sure if its the throttle or something else...spark plug, fuel injector, fuel pump? Anyone ever had this happen, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty bummed out, its a 2007 M109R, bought it from a guy a few months ago, and ive been having to work on it ever since....one thing after another....???:'(

·
Registered
758 Posts
So I rode to work today just fine and on my way home I noticed my bike wasnt accelerating like it normally does. I crank the throttle all the way and it doesnt go like it used to. It picks up really slow...not sure what it is. Or I'll crank the throttle it wont go, then suddenly it starts to SLOWLY pick up speed. I didnt pass anyone on the interstate today because I didnt know how the acceleration was going to react. So not really sure if its the throttle or something else...spark plug, fuel injector, fuel pump? Anyone ever had this happen, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty bummed out, its a 2007 M109R, bought it from a guy a few months ago, and ive been having to work on it ever since....one thing after another....???:'(
Sounds like you have a bad Throttle Position Sensor(TPS). Do you the FI light on?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked...

No FI light as of yet.

Took it for a ride down the freeway just now and cranked the throttle, seems like when i get to about 4000 rpm it starts to sputter and not accelerate anymore.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Crank position sensor doesn't cause that. I would check fuel filter first and start from there. If you had just purchased that bike i would get a hold of person that owned it before and ask him if he had ever change it. Or you may have bigger problem.Keep us posted...wee are hear to help .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crank position sensor doesn't cause that. I would check fuel filter first and start from there. If you had just purchased that bike i would get a hold of person that owned it before and ask him if he had ever change it. Or you may have bigger problem.Keep us posted...wee are hear to help .
I doubt the fuel filter has ever been changed (also before i start the bike, what i think is the fuel pump.... squeaks), the guy said he had changed the oil, and when i changed it, out of curiosity, it was soooo black, as so was the final drive gear oil....

·
Registered
265 Posts
I doubt the fuel filter has ever been changed (also before i start the bike, what i think is the fuel pump.... squeaks), the guy said he had changed the oil, and when i changed it, out of curiosity, it was soooo black, as so was the final drive gear oil....
I would go from there, thats a 50$ fix and it would make a big difference. Does it idle rough on the start? Kind a uneven? If it does thats one of the sign that filter is clogged up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys

I would go from there, thats a 50$ fix and it would make a big difference. Does it idle rough on the start? Kind a uneven? If it does thats one of the sign that filter is clogged up.
Although its a 2007 it only has 7800 miles on it...I havent checked the fuel OR air filter just because it sounds like a big job. I had trouble figuring out how to get to the air filter the other day to see what condition theyre in.

WELL...I suppose I have to start troubleshooting somewhere.....FML...I'll have to wait till the weekend then....

Any suggestions on what kind of fuel filter to get?

And yes I will disconnect the PC111 and get back to you guys on what that does.

Thanks for starting me off in the right direction....

Please if anyone has any other ideas on what i can check I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Question...

Since Ive bought the bike, Ive wired an LED kit, leaving the battery disconnected for a couple weeks. Would that "unprogram" the Power commander or whatever?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Fuel filter?? sounds like,, the squeak when you first turn the key on is the servo valve in the exhaust I think it is called. Normal sound...

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
With that low milage I doubt the fuel filter has ever been changed...I'm sure it's dirty...all symptoms point to filter...start there,throw some sea foam in the fuel and run the tank out..

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
I've changed mine every 20K kms,(12-13K miles) and it's been filthy dirty each time..

if the previous owner left you with dirty engine/gear oil,who knows what crappy cheap gas he dumped in there...

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I didn't see fuel filter under periodic maintenance...how often does this need changed?
62,714 miles never changed, cleaned once, I guess i should clean it again....

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

60,000 ks, Never seen it, still OEM, Never cleaned. Good clean Gas here, And wide open on the throttle to Drag any Chit thru.....
:bigthumbsup:
haha true dat skidder.............

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.