M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my fender eliminator in early this week and just got the chance to start on it. I was going to use the Kuryakyn LED bolt lights to provide the plate light. Everything was going ok (I say OK because I had to run to the hardware store for some washers in order to mount the stock lights back on) until I went to test the turn signals and LED bolt lights.

I popped the 15a fuse so obvously a short. I started going back over the wiring to make sure I didn't screw it up and everything looked right.

So out comes the handy dandy volt meter. It seems that either they don't use regular wiring colors or one of them is shorted to the bolt case.

Just so I'm not crazy here,
the black wire should be ground (which is interesting because it is not grounded to the bolt casing)
and
the red wire should be 12v (which is sometimes gounded to the casing depending on which way I move the wire.

Have I lost it ?. Should red be ground ?. Did I get a bad set ?.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That was helpful ........ :joke:
Anyway, No matter how I try I cannot get the black wire to ground to the case, I'm really starting to wonder if the freaking wires are backwards from what I would expect (eg black is hot, red is ground).
I sent Kuryakyn and email about it but until then my bike sits in pieces in the garage AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH. I'd put it back together but if it's something simple I guess I wait.

OK Further Info; I hooked the LED bolts directly up to a 6v lantern battery and they ONLY work when I connect the red to positive and the black to ground. Wires are correct, aparently I just have one that will always short to ground when you move the wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't really care about the color of the wires coming from the bolts because they're wrong. I just went with whatever made them light up and connected them to the OEM wires for the plate light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts