M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I snap my 1-yr old Barnett clutch cable just before Americade starts and am told by DLP that I am SOL on warranty due to the date I purchased it.

See post if interested in this saga.
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130268&highlight=local+boully

SO I guess I'm becoming a drama queen!

I ordered a Dunny 250 at the same time since I already had the debit card out.

I'm anxious as he!! to get the cable because of the big Americade weekend coming up. Cable and tire were scheduled to be delivered Thursday 6/10. I check the UPS tracking# on Thursday and sure enough it shows it hit my local UPS hub the night before and was scanned "out for delivery" at 4:47am!!! :hot:

In the past, UPS was always at my house before 11am, I'm thinking "great!!! I'll be riding by noon"!! NOT!!!

Apparently I have a new UPS driver that hasn't figured out his route yet. I live 15 minutes from the actual UPS hub, but never received the cable or tire until 6:45pm that evening :edit: :edit: :edit:

So I work my azz off Thursday nite to get the cable on because Haywud and the boyz are all meeting Friday AM for a north country run!

I never made my appointment for the tire mounting because UPS was so late. I rescheduled for today (Monday) for the tire and head to the shop.

So anyway....... I have the wheel off and the new tire in hand. The owner of the shop has already dismounted my old skin and was about to put on the new one when he says "uh-oh"!! He brings me over to show me two spots on the tire bead directly across from each other that looks like they banded several tires together and really indented the bead. I looked at the owner and asked him what he thought about it and he said he didn't think it would hold air but he'd mount it and see. After the tire was on he tried to inflate it, but the air was coming out of the bead as fast as it went in. They even strapped the tire with a large tow strap and tried to squeeze the center down to try and push out the side wall. No good, even with 150psi of pressure they could'nt get the tire inflated.

So I have him dismount the tire and we discuss the next move. The guy is giving me a little a chit about buying online and all, so I said "OK, price me out a tire then"

He looks up the E3-250 and comes back at $162.00. I asked him how long to get it and he says tomorrow. I ordered his tire and called DLP about returning the defective tire.

DLP on the line, explain what happened and told them I wanted an RMA # to return the defective tire. The agent talks to his manager about RMA. He gives me the RMA# and tells me to ship it back. I asked him who was paying for shipping and he said I would!!!!!!!????????? I'm already a little miffed at the fact that I have my bike all apart and un-ridable so I asked him if it was normal for a customer to pay freight to return a defective part. The agent says, well, "normally" we don't have any problems with those tires, and if we do, we usually send a replacement". I said, well, "normally, I don't have my bike all apart waiting for a replacement tire because the first one is f#@Ked up! He talks to his manager again and get the OK to credit me my freight charges, but only if I send it back VIA US Postal service the absolute cheapest way. What ever!

So, to make a long story even longer, I have a new tire coming from the shop, for less money than DLP has the tire listed for, and in less time than I could have got it from DLP. I guess there is some credence in supporting your local businesses!!!

Rant off!!! :mad:

these pics probably don't make the bead look as bad as it really is, those guys worked their butts off trying to get the bead to seal and pop. This bead is crushed.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Sorry for your frustrations/bad luck lately, Dale. Don't worry, bro. This too shall pass.

I used to give my local dealer as much business as I could....before they went out of business last week! :edit:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just received my E3 250 from Jake Wilson that was placed late Thursday 6/10/10. You cannot beat their price of $138.00 and a coupon for $20.00 if you spend over $150.00. My final price for the tire and 5ozs of beads with free shipping was $134.00. I hope this tire does not attract staples like my last mine did. Good luck with DLP.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Why Am I not surprised that somebody is having problems with DLP again?
It must be normal, to send out parts without even looking at them at all,to see if they are in good condition. F'n BS.

·
Registered
927 Posts
this is my last comment about those folks.....but I honestly believe that if you f**k with the bull you will get the horns.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for your frustrations/bad luck lately, Dale. Don't worry, bro. This too shall pass.

I used to give my local dealer as much business as I could....before they went out of business last week! :edit:
Thanks Bob! I try to give business to a local Suzuki dealer here, but he is so out of whack with prices I just can't do it. The guy I'm having mount my tire is an independent shop that works on everything. He has a top of the line tire machine and he is a pretty good guy! Frustration level is a little high because I'm an impatient SOB!

I just received my E3 250 from Jake Wilson that was placed late Thursday 6/10/10. You cannot beat their price of $138.00 and a coupon for $20.00 if you spend over $150.00. My final price for the tire and 5ozs of beads with free shipping was $134.00. I hope this tire does not attract staples like my last mine did. Good luck with DLP.
I originally was going to order my tire from Jake Wilson when DLP pissed me off last week after not answering their phone for almost an hour. If Wilson had the Barnett cable available for my bike I would have pulled the trigger. DLP did match tire price, but as I stated, the junk tire does me no good!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
sorry to hear dale what shop had the e3 for 162 im sure all our upstaters could give them some business i know my e3 will be toast before sept

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry to hear dale what shop had the e3 for 162 im sure all our upstaters could give them some business i know my e3 will be toast before sept
that would be ProCycles in Clifton Park. he is at 1512 Rt9. a few miles north of Seymore Suzuki. 518-373-0151
www.procyclesinc.com
the owner is Jim Romeo. He used to be a technician trainer for GM and Chrysler. Scott and I found him by accident when Seymore Suzuki couldn't/wouldn't mount Scotts tire one day. We asked if there was anyone else in the area and they pointed us to ProCycle. Seymores loss is ProCycles gain!! Jim said he gets tons of business from the dealers because they turn people away instead of accommodating them.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Good post LB:bigthumbsup:
I'm reading this and the thought goes through my head that my new and waiting E3250 is hanging in the garage and could the bead be getting dented? I checked and it's still good.:doorag:

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
Why Am I not surprised that somebody is having problems with DLP again?
It must be normal, to send out parts without even looking at them at all,to see if they are in good condition. F'n BS.
Seems like the problem is more with UPS or Dunlop.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,084 Posts
I agree with that. If you've ever mounted tires yourself it takes a heck of a lot to do that kind of damage to a tire. They have a steel cord around the bead area that is really stiff and not easily damaged. I've even bent 24" tire irons trying to get one on that last few inches and still never damaged the bead.

It looks like it was either made that way or a lot of weight was placed on it over a long period of time and it took a permanent set. The bead is somewhat flexible, if you try you can straighten that out by hand, but it won't stay there.

And a little more lube may have gotten it mounted too. Or ask your tire installer if he knows how lighter fluid, hair spray or ether (starting fluid) is used when mounting a difficult tire. :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Very good post... Thanks for your input... I am getting ready to buy new skids and will think twice.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Things like that happen to my race tires. All I did was throw the tire out in the hot sun.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, UPS dropped the ball on delivery, but my rant is as much about the tire as the delivery. I've always had good luck with DLP, but lately not so much...

I agree with that. If you've ever mounted tires yourself it takes a heck of a lot to do that kind of damage to a tire. They have a steel cord around the bead area that is really stiff and not easily damaged. I've even bent 24" tire irons trying to get one on that last few inches and still never damaged the bead.

It looks like it was either made that way or a lot of weight was placed on it over a long period of time and it took a permanent set. The bead is somewhat flexible, if you try you can straighten that out by hand, but it won't stay there.

And a little more lube may have gotten it mounted too. Or ask your tire installer if he knows how lighter fluid, hair spray or ether (starting fluid) is used when mounting a difficult tire. :D
The guys mounting it tried a few different things. my biggest concern was a continuous slow leak. The pictures really don't do the bend in the bead justice, it's REALLY bent!! Definitely where they strapped several tires together and this one was one of the end tires.

Things like that happen to my race tires. All I did was throw the tire out in the hot sun.
It sat in the back of my truck in the sun for most of the morning before I went to the shop. I didn't want to risk a flat out in the middle of no where if it started leaking.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I had as similar bad tire (elite 250) story with DLP. It cost me much and I wont buy tires online again.
A local dealer said "we see most defective tires were sold online" HHMMM....

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Geez dale, that really sucks!! Well thank God you didn't do anything really idiotic on the old tire, like uh....oh i don't know....so many options to choose from here....lets go with flying down the Northway at twice the legal limit?? :eek:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Geez dale, that really sucks!! Well thank God you didn't do anything really idiotic on the old tire, like uh....oh i don't know....so many options to choose from here....lets go with flying down the Northway at twice the legal limit?? :eek:
LOL! "Flying down the Northway at twice the legal limit??" I thought that was just a leisurely afternoon ride to you!!!! I know there definitely isn't any carbon build up on my valves now!! :doorag:

But the saga still continues. Because DLP made it my responsibility to ship back their defective tire, I went to USPS today to get a quote and an idea on how to ship a tire via US Postal Serv. The guy says they prefer the tire be wrapped in plastic or something if it isn't boxed. Then he calculates a price to ship back of $21.50. So I'm thinking, plastic wrap?$$ Shipping wrap?$$, plus $21.50, plus the aggravation, Bull chit!

So I call DLP and tell them I WANT a RMA label sent to me so they can pick up the return shipping on the tire. I'm on hold forever when the guy comes back and says, "do you have a fax machine??" He!! No, I don't have one!! Apparently the system they have will print a return label, but they have to fax it because they don't have a way to e-mail it. :dontknow: I don't have access to a fax machine so I have to call the ex-wife to see if they can fax this label to her work, so now DLP has added insult to injury!!!
:edit::edit::edit::edit::edit::edit:

We'll see how this all ends, But I think I learned my lesson about buying tires online.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts