M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the nerve to drill the 8 hole per pipe pattern in my stock pipes yesterday. Love the new exhaust note (baffles still intact). I found the metal in the backplates to very brittle though...it was hard to get a clean hole drilled. All but one needed varying amounts of dremeling to smooth them out...not that looks are especially important with this particular mod. Anyone else find this to be a problem? Just curious.:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Did you use a punch or something to give yourself something for your drillbit to "bite" into? I know mine wanted to walk on me a little bit. My endplates were very hard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you use a punch or something to give yourself something for your drillbit to "bite" into? I know mine wanted to walk on me a little bit. My endplates were very hard.
Yeah, I used a small drill bit to get started (just small "divot", if you will) so the 1/2" bit wouldn't be sliding all over the place...but even so, most of the holes wanted to crack off larger chunks of metal as I got about half way through. Only one went in clean and left a perfectly round hole. Dremel took care of the rest...I was just surprised at how hard it was. I guess 17K miles of heat makes the metal brittle.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I drilled an 1/8" pilot hole, then went to eight 3/8" holes and thought it sounded great...........
till I was told to open it up a bit to 1/2" and now I really like the tone

maybe my bits are too sharp, they went through like it was tin-foil
(I have read that they changed pipe in '08, which mine is)

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
A unibit may make this task easier. No need to change drill bits.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
If you had problems chunking it out, you probably went up to a large bit too soon. Big bits don't like thin metal, you have to work up to them in multiple steps. They sometimes drill holes that have multiple sides instead of being round. :D

Or has Big-B said, a Unibit would work great.

·
Registered
185 Posts
After a while you might want to gut it all (except Cat and Set) for the ultimate Rumble. I`m sure you will like it.
(Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread)

I drilled out my baffles a while ago and really like the adjusted sound. Lately, I've really considered gutting the exhaust, but I'm concerned it my be too loud. I tend to work a lot of late shifts and I'd like to keep the peace with the neighbors on my cruise home.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry n't helpo you out with the total gut, but I loved drilling out the 1/2 inch holes with metal flying everywhere! Saftey Glasses anyone :joke:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Opps etiquite! gutted mine 3/4 and the other local 9,ers are jelouse that they spent hundreds on thiers. way low rumble and quiet it you just coasting thru the gears.

and the drilling rpms mean everthing my craftsman cordless sucked at drilling the back. but the dewalt went right thru them.

·
Registered
571 Posts

I drilled out my baffles a while ago and really like the adjusted sound. Lately, I've really considered gutting the exhaust, but I'm concerned it my be too loud. I tend to work a lot of late shifts and I'd like to keep the peace with the neighbors on my cruise home.

Thoughts??
The tone on a DeBaffled (Gutted) stock pipe is very deep. It is nothing like the tiny rap you hear on Harleys and most aftermarket pipes. If you check some of my other posts, you will see that a DeBaffled pipe at idle is very reasonable, (My diesel pickup is just as loud). If stay off the throttle until your out of the neighborhood, your neighbors will be cool. Once your out on the road, and hammer the throttle the thing will roar! I think a DeBaffled stock pipe sounds better than any aftermarket pipe I have heard, on any bike.
I even DeBaffled my wifes C50, and it sounds great. Not to mention, I saved over $1000 when you consider both our bikes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cool! From reading on this forum, I've found this to be a concern for several riders. I will really consider gutting them. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

Thoughts??
I drive through a neighborhood between midnight and 2am after work. I just dont wrap it loud enough to set off car alarms and airbags. I just chug through and don`t think it is a problem

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same here, I totally gutted my 08. It has a deep rumble at low RPM and she roars when you open her up. I love the way it sounds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you do the 8 hole thing do you need to change any thing with the air/fuel or leave as standard?
Also does any one have a sound clip with this mod done?
I love the look of my standard pipes but a bit louder would be nice:beer3:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've done the 8-hole thing....both the wrong way and the right way.

The wrong way involves starting with a large bit right away!! You need to work your way up from smaller ones (I cringe everytime I look at the 2 holes that are not as neat as the other ones!!) :(

That being said: I haven't gutted the pipes yet (can't the right extension and holesaw!) Borrowed one once but it was for an 07. I have an 08 and the end 'hole' was too small to fit the holesaw :(
Anyone remember what holesaw bit and extension would fit an 08? I'm ready to RUMMMMBBBBLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
I did the baffles and eight holes I wanted it louder but not too loud and did not want to mess up my one and only set of stock exhaust, I did it about 6 months ago no regrets the sound is just right for me. You do not need fuel management for this mod but the f2000 is a nice +

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just drilled my pipes out to 4- 1/2 holes per pipe and it really comes on around 3000 RPM but noticed after a couple of tanks of gas my mileage has dropped noticeably. I've usually been able to average about 48-50 on a sunday ride with the wife but now getting 42-44. This is still pretty good compared to some but just wondering if this is normal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts